Rtech Update - Marketing 101 >

Rtech Update - Marketing 101

Notices

Rtech Update - Marketing 101

Old 11-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rtech Update - Marketing 101

Just thought you guys would like to know what we've been up to since SEMA.

My brother was in Florida last week and I'm pleased to report that Doller Offshore Marine is now an Rtech dealer on the East Coast. Mindi has graciously agreed to having our display engine in her booth at the Miami International Boat show (Booth #3961) and my brother and I will be there for the week to answer any and all questions.

We have also started discussions with Bob Teague, who my brother met with a couple of times in Key West. We hope to have Teague Custom Marine as a dealer on the West Coast.

Victory Marine in Houston will be our dealer on the South(?) Coast. We are also talking to a performance marine dealer in Lake Havasu. Last but not least, Nickerson Performance was really our first dealer, having done the dyno work with us, and now having a Supercooler on his personal boat engine.

I just approved the final draft of the advertising that we will be running in Family & Performance Boating. This ad won't appear until the Feb issue (distributed at the Miami and Los Angeles boat shows). But I can't wait that long to show you so it's attached!

I have also asked OSO to prepare a small banner ad for us, but I haven't heard anything back yet, because they're still HAVING FUN IN KEY WEST.

Our website (rtechperformance .com) is NOT up and running yet, but the domain name has been secured. This website will contain many of the technical details that were first seen here on OSO. It will also be updated as we introduce new applications.

I have taken the first measurements and photos to start on a system for the HP500EFI and 502MPI engines. (Thanks AIRPACKER) It looks very favourable for using the same large intercooler core and compressor discharge plenum design as the carb system, with a new round throttle body mounted between the compressor and the plenum. A new upper intake manifold will contain the intercooler.

The latest development is a direct result of suggestions made to my brother in Key West. I was so pleased when we made 950 HP on Nickerson's dyno, but you extreme poker run guys want more. Seems like if you don't have 1000HP and #6 drives you stay home! So work has begun on supersizing the Rtech system. The compressor discharge plenum has been scaled up (on computer) and we can make the intercooler as much as twice the size.

We are already discussing, with Vortech engineering staff, the application of their big Z-trim blower to the Supercooler design. Specs of this system TBA. Actually I was already working on this to satisfy the needs of a well known rigger who is building a 40 Supercat to challenge the 200+MPH kilo mark.

I don't believe we could have come this far if it wasn't for the input and encouragement of some of you OSO members. In particular NEVRENUFF and BIGGUS for making the first dyno test at Nickerson's a reality, and brainstorming sessions with TURBOJACK, COBRA MARTY, HPJUNKIE and many others.

We look forward to seeing many of you in Miami. I hope you will give us serious consideration if you are thinking about supercharging. (We need to sell some 800 HP systems before we go nuts on the design of a 1600 HP system!)
Attached Thumbnails Rtech Update - Marketing 101-f-pb-ad-final-cropped.jpg  

Last edited by tomcat; 11-25-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

YES!

too cool.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom, the ad looks fantastic! I wish you the best of luck with your now proven design.

Thank you for providing the opportunity to be involved with such an interesting project.

See you in Miami

Kurt
Old 11-25-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom,looks great. I guess the next thing we're gonna see is R tech become a full time business for ya.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish you the best Tom!!!!

the best part is you can write off a trip to miami!!!!

have you considered torque and power curves comparisons for your literature or booth? I think that would give instant credibility to the passerbyers.....

probably have to be careful with the wording as not to piss off potential licensees

but maybe something like Vortec system XXX
vs
vortec supercharger with Rtech intercooler

or plot three systems with same boost pressure (probably similar curves) and your curve.

I'm just and engineer so these marketing suggestion may be way off.

good luck in miami.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

your going to break a hundred with a set of those in your boat Tom!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, I don't want to break my XRs. What package will run best on HP500s in a 36 Spectre. Do I need a Nickerson cam, MSD and a valve change?

Advice please.

Thanks, I have followed your progress for months and like your attitude and product.

Shawn
Old 11-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Registered

Thanks all. Miami a tax writeoff...damn right!

When we did the original tests on NEVRENUFF's Procharger we got a new HP curve that was almost parallel to the old one, just 85 HP more. This was in the 4200 - 5600 range. I'll have to dig that out and enlarge it. When we did the boat test in September we figured the extra 8 mph was proof of 100 HP more and we also noticed a big increase in midrange torque when hitting the throttle at cruise speed (~3500 RPM). I will prepare something for Miami that shows this, because it's important for people to see that it's not just an increase at max RPM.

Hey Shawn: Thanks for watching! I was going to send you a PM, but talking out loud on OSO helps me think.

With a 3.47 pulley the basic package makes 800 HP at 5500 RPM, and about 700 ft-lbs at 4000 RPM. I honestly don't know much about the limits of the XR drive, but if I were you, I would be careful on the throttles and inspect the drives religiously.

You can install this package on your good condition HP500s without changing much. You already have the required Dart intakes. You can send your carbs to Nickerson to be modified or keep them stock and buy his carbs. We have been happy with the new Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and referenced regulator. You have to follow their recommendations for fuel system plumbing.

The big cast iron Merc T-stat block interferes with the bottom plate of the Supercooler so we have been converting to Stainless Marine water crossover kits. If you want to keep the recirculating pump you would have to revise the plumbing and mount the T-stat housing remotely somehow. We haven't done that since most blower guys already want the crossover kit; it is supposed to send more water to the heads.

You already have the good Inconel exhaust valves. Check your valve springs and make sure you have the new ones. There were some problems with these in the past. Check OSO threads for details.

I'm not convinced that MSD is necessary but that's just my personal opinion. You probably have Gil exhaust, which leaves room for the Vortech supercharger air filter assembly. It's a good piece; doesn't cost HP.

To step up to the 900+ HP level you need to modify the engine to breathe better above 5500 RPM. Dean's recommendations on porting and his solid roller cam are dyno proven. Doesn't mean different heads and an off-the-shelf cam wouldn't work, but Dean has done it.

This allows the engine to spin to 6000 RPM and still breathe well. It also spins the blower faster, and allows it use more of its energy towards air flow as opposed to boost, which after all is just a measure of the restriction in the cylinder heads.

Peak torque with this setup was 775 ft-lbs at 6000 RPM. I think this setup produces a torque curve which is easier on drives than 800 ft-lbs at low RPM.

To get beyond this HP level you need bigger displacement. More boost isn't the anwer because you reach cylinder pressures that are too high for premium fuel. Vortech has a selection of larger blowers that can be used with the Supercooler, so air flow is not a problem, but you have to have a fuel system that can keep up.

Turbojack is using a Holley EFI single plane intake with a 2000 CFM throttle body and the biggest injectors you can get on his 540. Theoretically such a system could be good for 1500+ HP but I would want to see it on top of a 750CID Merlin Superblock to keep the "reliability ratio" intact. Of course, then you would be worried about blowing #6 drives!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a motor under there?
Old 11-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Registered

Of course there is...it's just a matter of perspective!

We are just making better use of the same real estate used by standard intercooler plumbing. Same height as standard carb box and everything is behind the blower belt for less clearance issues. Form follows function in this design. You must rid yourself of the evil obsession with sexy curves!! (in pipes, not women)
Attached Thumbnails Rtech Update - Marketing 101-black-front-port-together.jpg  

Last edited by tomcat; 11-27-2003 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Rtech Update - Marketing 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.