Electrical Dash problem, help needed >

Electrical Dash problem, help needed

Notices

Electrical Dash problem, help needed

Old 11-30-2003, 02:40 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The back of the panel has a foil backing on it .I think the cleaner may hurt it????

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Great Dane,

Cool looking dash!!
I have the same boat, had the same problem.
Infact, ran into a problem with not only switches, but also gages. I disconnected all the leads & grounds, cleaned & reconnected, everything worked fine.
What are you running for power?
I run a 550hp 502 in mine. It's a fun boat, flies nice & handles the sloppy water real well.

Tom
Old 12-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks TomR.

Well I just bought the boat, and it's on land for the winter, so I'm not really sure what it'll do. It has a 502 and a overdriven Weiand blower with Dominator, so 550-600 HP should be possible. We had one fast trip, no GPS and no speedo, but sticking your head into the wind, it felt a lot faster than my previous Bayliner that did 50 mph.

So you have the same boat. Anything about you can share? Data, pictures of it from new, brochures, manuals, prop selection? Anything will be appreciated, I'm new to going fast on water, and here in Denmark where a gallon cost more than $5, there aren't that many boats like it. It's probably among the 10 fastests in the country.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Registered

Cool

Tom, are you out there? ;-)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Great Dane,

I've had the boat about three years now.
I have a natural aspirated 502ci that was done over.
I'm running about 9 to 1 compression, custom ground CompCam roller cam, Dart intake, Holley 800 cfm, DUI ignition, Lightning Headers.
Motor makes good power! I run a lab finished 25"pitch Mirage Plus prop, turns approx 5300rpm at just over 75mph.
I enjoy the boat!!
I'll have to try to get some pictures up for you to see.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:14 PM
homan

Great Dane, I have the same barge that had the same problem. Go to the fuse blocks under the steering wheel those switches operate tiny relays so even if your fuse is checking ok for nav. lights for example you still won't get power. One of the fuses gives power to all those switch relays check them with a test light both line and load side you'll probably end up having to clean where the fuse makes contact. another problem I found in my crapper look in the bilge by the stringers at the drain holes down to the hull mine were up way too high on the lower sides and couldn't drain until they filled up with water which is what caused my stringer to delaminate and crack my hull way to go scarab.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Registered

Hey Guy's,
There is a grease like compound that you can put on any electrical connection like a plug, fuse sockets, wire connectors etc. that will prevent the connection from oxidation and keep the moisture out. My fuse box from condensation got corroded from the moisture and I put oxi guard on it and no further problems. It acts like a moisture barrier.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

Default Electrical dash problem

I've read all the replies and heard the remedies. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no reason or excuse for having relays in a circuit unless the loads are higher ampacity than the switches are rated for, or the control needs multiple positions. Even with multiple control positions diodes can provide isolation w/o relays. That your switch panel control function is deteriorated by mositure is somewhat unforgivable of the manufacturer. After all, it is a boat.

In the great majority of cases, simpler will be better.

I'd replace all that "jizz" with high quality switches and be done with it . With all the things that will go wrong with boats, it's just incomprehensible that you would have to worry about "switches'. Do it and forget about them and enjoy boating. Get a nice custom switch panel laser cut and wire it in yourself.

That, of course, is just my simple opinion.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Registered

They probably used relays to create holding circuits (sealed) that could be actuated with a momentary pulse. I agree, not a good way to go, but I suspect they were designing for the soft touch feel. I would also replace these switches with maintained rockers that can handle the load, then get rid of relays.

Dave
Old 12-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Registered

Talking

Thanks for all the answers.

I finally found the culprit, I cut the sealer on the rubber buttons and took it off so I could see the circuitry.And when holding the rubber button cover up to the light I could see a tear that led water in, and the circuitry was damp and covered in patina.

I glued the tear and removed the patina, and now it all works. Hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: Electrical Dash problem, help needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.