Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
best replacement for Bravo 2--HELP! >

best replacement for Bravo 2--HELP!

Notices

best replacement for Bravo 2--HELP!

Old 11-30-2003, 02:18 PM
mako2

Default best replacement for Bravo 2--HELP!

I have twin Yanmar 6lps (300hp) with Bravo 2s. I've blown three lower ends in 1800hrs. I've heard lots of stories, b-2s are good, they're bad, etc. etc. Someone also told me that the Yanmars send a vibration through the coupler that kills the drives.

I'm not sure what to believe. I dropped a prop pitch and haven't had any more problems, but I want to fix this, at least as best as I can.

I've looked at BMAX drives and lately I've been looking at Max Machine Worx upgrades. Can anyone help me deside what the best bang for the buck is? I'd also like to reduce the maintenance schedule, if possible. Those 100hr ujoint greasings and oil changes come up every two weeks for me. It would be nice if I could extend that interval.

FYI- the boat is a 33' charter at approx. 15,000lbs.

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

B2's are usually used on boats that don't plane. Great big props. You sure this is what you're running?

When you say you've blown lower ends, what exactly has broken?

The coupler you speak of should be the same coupler used in all Bravo applications, shouldn't it?? If so, it has a rubber donut that absorbs vibration. Can't imagine that is your source of problems.

Honestly, in my opinion, 500 hours on a setup with 600 ft-lbs of input shaft torque is about as good as you can hope for with any Bravo-class drive. And you are beating that...

All of the aftermarket drive guys you mention have programs for beefing up Bravos. Lube capacities and U-joint service intervals will be unchanged, though.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bravo drive is really a light duty drive. You really need a commercial duty drive. I know of nothing that would be a easy retrofit. For your next boat you may want to consider some sort of a shaft drive.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:48 PM
import

Have a look at www.pulsedrive.net

I've been in a few of thier Yanmar packages they have all run well.