Another oil coolert question

Notices

Another oil coolert question

Old 12-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by blue thunder
Thanks again Cal. I never knew you had a real name... :How are you makine out with the pressed on barbed fittings. Was that by chance the reason you had an oil line blow off last year?

Dave
Dave
As a matter of fact NO it was a Merc factory line. I've had one push-lock line for 4 seasons now. Had to make some more last season for these new oil coolers. Checked into the specs of the hose and it was only about 220/230* but had a working pressure of 300 psi. So since I'm well below the max pressure I figure I can get away with a little extra temp. I'm not one to be beating on it 24/7 so my oil temps rarely go over 200*.
I used it for my fuel too BUT it''s not USCG approved. I'm going to redo those this winter. Here's my oil leak...It was like a cow on a flat rock

Cal (mopower)

I don't need a name...you can call me anything but late for dinner
Attached Thumbnails Another oil coolert question-hole.jpg  

Last edited by mopower; 12-10-2003 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Cal, I was working on picking out lines today and am finding a lot that are 212, and some that are 230. What I am going to get prices on is teflon hose with SS braid jacket, good for 450F. It is compatible with gas, oil, ps and water, all things I am redoing. Last year I blew a power steering line (twice actually) and made a disaster of my freshly painted bilge. That's what scares me about the barbed fitting. When I total up the cost factor to use that hose I may change my mind though... time will tell. That stuff aint't cheap!!

Dave
Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

That teflon hose seems to be the ticket . That's not push-lock is it? Probably needs crimped ends and yeah , you better bend over and grab you ankles .
They do make for a nice looking job though . If you can, let me know about how much it costs.
Thanks Cal
Old 12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Registered

I'll do that Cal. I am going to try to get a sample to check out. There are two ways to fasten connectors on the SS-TFE stuff; the crimp connectors and some compression type connectors that can be feild assembled. I am going to price the ones you can assemble. Hopefully the fittings are not like $45 ea. I've seen some like that. But after my oil messes this year, cost becomes less of an issue. I just cannot tolerate a ****ty looking bilge and last year was a heart breaker after all the work I did. I've been fighting that battle and loosing ever since I had this boat.

What size thread is on that line you blew (shown abovr)? I don't have mine apart yet and could use that fact.

Dave

Last edited by blue thunder; 12-10-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

I just cannot tolerate a ****ty looking bilge and last year was a heart breaker after all the work I did.
What size thread is on that line you blew (shown abovr)? I don't have mine apart yet and could use that fact.
Dave
Don't know the size off hand. I'm in work again till 12m. But leave me tell you , I'm hell with pipe sizes
Speaking of messes , this is about 45 minutes running time last spring(first time out) with brand new engines The oil came up at a 45* angle and hit the engine hatch and splattered all over.
Attached Thumbnails Another oil coolert question-mess.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Registered

Yeah Cal, I was working on picking out lines today and am finding a lot that are 212, and some that are 230. What I am going to get prices on is teflon hose with SS braid jacket, good for 450F. It is compatible with gas, oil, ps and water, all things I am redoing. Last year I blew a power steering line (twice actually) and made a disaster of my freshly painted bilge. That's what scares me about the barbed fitting. When I total up the cost factor to use that hose I may change my mind though... time will tell. That stuff aint't cheap!!

Dave
Great stuff. Hose is CHEAP wait till you see the price of the fittings and hose ends!!!!!!!!!! Never blown a fitting or hose though.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:57 AM
ursus

Yeah Cal, I was working on picking out lines today and am finding a lot that are 212, and some that are 230.
Using Aeroquips socketless hose for 3 years without a problem, its blue too ( the push on barb stuff)

Temperature Range: -40°F to +300°F
Air not to Exceed +250°F
Water not to Exceed +180°F
Maximum Operating Pressure: 250psi - All Sizes.
Applications: Fuel, Oil, Coolant, and Air.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...86&prmenbr=361

Old 12-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks ursus, that was going to be my next question on the T/A forum. Craig223's Cig has that and it makes a clean looking engine compartment.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Registered

Prices on the teflon SS braid hose is (1/2" or #8) $.62/in. About $10/fitting. Around $500 to do my oil, fuel and PS lines. WOW.

Dave
Old 12-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Prices on the teflon SS braid hose is (1/2" or #8) $.62/in. About $10/fitting. Around $500 to do my oil, fuel and PS lines. WOW.

Dave
And this is from where??
I think my black oil lines may be fine,but perhaps the fuel may get done
It's either that or bend my own 1/2 inch fuel lines.

Last edited by mopower; 12-12-2003 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Another oil coolert question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.