Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
getting rid of the gas smell >

getting rid of the gas smell

Notices

getting rid of the gas smell

Old 01-21-2002, 07:16 PM
thumper

Question getting rid of the gas smell

I had a gas leak that made my boat smell real bad,I have tried cleaners avilable at west marine but the smell is there.I even had some blankets in the storage compartment that took on the smell.What can I do to eliminate the smell.

Old 01-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when my gas tank leaked it filled the whole bilge with about 4-5 inches of gas. I washed the bilge with simple green and let the hose run through it for a while, everything in the boat didn't smell to bad, it had sat all week with 2 covers on it with the gas in the bilge. Just letting it air out got rid of it.. Maybe you can try the house smelly stuff named "frebreeze" it might take the oder out.. its a household deoterizer..
Old 01-21-2002, 07:40 PM
Registered

i have been told that an open can of coffee grounds will absorb all but the nastiest of odors, never tried just what i have heard more than once.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Registered

I heard it was instant coffee never tryed eather.also if your tank leaked and got into the foam around it might be tough to get rid of the smell hope you get it under control don't need any fumes that could cause problems.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:37 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

try a few boxxes of baking soda. I but plastic cups full of it in my cabin during thw winter to absord scent and moisture in the air. Helps prevent mold I do use quite a buit of it but it lasts a few months.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

Dont laugh, toothpaste. No kidding. Scrub with it and it will either remove the smell or cover it up. And everyone on your boat will complement you on your minty fresh breath.
Gary
Old 01-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the smell is still in the bilges. Try some liquid laundry detergent. Put the plug back in the boat and put some soap into the bilge -use lots- then add water untill the level is above the high line that the gas made. Leave that in there for a few days. You might want to swish it around a bit. ( Hook trailer to car-go back and forth ) do this each day then drain - flush well. Use a detergent that you like the smell because it will linger for a while. GOOD LUCK---
Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Charter Member #38
Charter Member

If you don't mind the smell of cedar , you could put a couple blocks of aromatic cedar in your storage compartments.(cedar chest effect) I'm not sure if it will take the gas smell out but, it smells a lot better. I usually keep a small block in each of my cabin compartments.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Registered

Thumper,
I have used the extra strength Febreeze spray for underneath my rear bench seat to get rid of the gas smell and it works ok. I have never tried the other "solutions" so I can't say how well they work. The only problem with the Febreeze is that it smells kind of foo-foo like an old woman wearing too much perfume!!! Good luck!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Intolerant1

Hot water and Simple Green. Pour the whole bottle in the bildge and add enough water for it to slosh around. Take the boat out and have some fun while giving your boat that fresh minty scent. I do this a couple times a season.

Quick Reply: getting rid of the gas smell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.