OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Notices

OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Old 01-24-2002, 03:50 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Brad/are the 1/2" NPT the size of the fittings going to the coolers?
Old 01-24-2002, 04:00 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Mltdwn12/Port is on the Susquehana River, from Anaoplis it would be up the bay to the NE River, and off to the left as you enter the river. The hose end makers have it going! I am rerigging my cooling witgh KE's dual water pumps into bellhousing coolers with 16 SS braid and 16 an stuff. Sure isn't fun! If your ever out this way give us a ring!
Old 01-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks formula
Old 01-25-2002, 09:23 AM
Brad Perry

Sorry for the delay, I have this pesky work thing going on.

Bob, yes the ports that go to the oil cooler are 1/2 npt. In fact that is the only lines that need to be run, that's the beauty of it. I can't take all credit, someone else on this board told me about it almost a year ago (can't remember who??). The temp is advertised to be around 180-190 F. I wish it were higher, but this seems to be the case with almost all car stuff.

When I first got mine, I was concerned about how small it was, and the apparent small oil filter pad. Then when I got a filter in had and compared it to a normal Chev unit, I could tell than they were the same except where the gasket was. I think it uses a buick part number..not sure, it has been awhile since I have touched the motor. Anyway, just ask the guys at Racerpartswholesale. I talked right to the mocal rep about this. When I got to looking at the passages, I compared them to the permacool sandwich adapter, and even though the unit is smaller, the passages are larger! I used a dremel to remove the cast flash right around the port however.

I installed this on a gen VI block. I had to take some material off the center threaded adapter to get the unit to snug up to the block. It is hard to install on the block in the boat! If you use a remote filter, it should be much easier. Anyway, be sure the unit is torqued on snugly BEFORE the filter is put on. Don't do what I did. I noticed that the adapter bottomed out before the unit was snug to the block, but I figured that once the filter was snuged on it would compress the whole sandwich....BAM 8 quarts of oil all over the engine compartment in a microsecond! Fortunately no damage, shut down immediatly (no hatch on the boat).

I'm not trying to scare you away, just trying to prevent a repeat with you guys! There are several different adapters for the piece that link it with different engines. You just give the distributor your application and ask for the filter part number that goes with it.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Interestingly, my 1999 HP500 carb engine apparently has a 180 degree oil thermostat.
It will get up to maybe 200-210 at WOT, but quickly cools back down to 180 once you slow down..The pickup is in the thermostat housing. The pan stays hotter longer, but eventually cools down, too. I checked the pan temps with an IR thermometer.

I was surprised when I first installed the oil temp gauge. Apparently 180 is not a bad temp...

Kent
Old 11-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the Merc unit a few yrs ago for my last boat. Kinda pricey though. Since I was running a blower with a crossover, water temp was low, thus oil temp was low also. After installing the Mercs unit, oil temp was always right at 180, with hard runs up to the 220 mark. Best money spent.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mocal oil thermostat......
Old 11-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took my remote oil thermostat out this year.. it is a Keith Eckert piece, very nice very expensive for what it did.. The oil would heat up to 280* and then cool down to less than 180* where it was suppose to be at. Of course the difference in time that it took to heat the oil to a proper 220 was about the same.. and now that it is out.. I see 230 max.. hmmmmm you get what you pay for.. ??
Others have had good luck with this item I believe, just didnt work for me.. I need to send it back, just too busy, to spend more time and money.. I will look at the Summit book.. thanks!
Dick
Old 11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

I have the KE unit, lays on 212 at cruise, goes up a little at WOT. Didn't have any mearsurable oil temp before thermostat install.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Registered

I use the merc systems they are clean and have a 190degree T-stat in them. The motors I use them on run between 190-220 all day long. When you run hard the oil temp stays around 190 because of the amount of oil flow going on. Yes they are expensive. This topic reminds me of the guy who spends $60,000 on a motor and does not want to spend the extra $.10cents a gallon for 92octane vs 87.

Quick Reply: OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.