Removing Exhaust Tips >

Removing Exhaust Tips

Notices

Removing Exhaust Tips

Old 12-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Removing Exhaust Tips

How do I get these #%^&%$! things out. The motors out of the boat, I've removes the screws, used a razor blade arounf the sealant and put a block of wood over the inside and tried to beat them out with a 3lb hammer. they won't budge. Any ideas????
Old 12-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem . I beat on mine with a block of wood and a five pound sledge hammer... no luck... then as a last resort.... I took a propane torch and heated the tip from the inside until it was too hot to touch, but not hot enough to scorch the transom.... then I wacked them good.... Did the trick... just make sure you have an extinguiser close at hand and aren't catching anything on fire... good luck. They had been glued in with 5200... that stuff works great until you have to remove something.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

I used a heat gun on 5200 sealed tips and a homemade puller fashioned from threaded rod and three two by fours. Just crank on the nut and they pull right out with no damage to the gel coat or the tips.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

Yeah!!!! Fossil fuels rule!!! I'm going to burn the fuel that my unborn children can't ! hahahahahahaha
Old 12-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

heck could of been like the ones on my boat 92 fountain
took exhaust mans loose, wiggled them and they just about fell out, noticed one time while washing engines water running out around them, so if its leaking out around them it will leak in. i wonderd where it was coming from.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is a link:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...highlight=5200
Old 12-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Registered

i cut a piece of 2x4 about 5' stuck it in the exhaust hole pried up and down side to side baby came out with out any damage. i would not try any heat. just cut the sillycone around the outside edge and you will be fine. what kinda boat you got?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Default 5200

Hello Reed,
You mentioned 5200 being used to seal the exhaust tips. Is that the silicone that is used on the back of the boat that is hard as hell to get off? I removed my swim deck, trim tabs exhaust tips from my transom so that I could do some repair work it didn't look like a standard silicone and it held very well.
Leave me know thanks,
Mike
Originally posted by Reed Jensen
I had the same problem . I beat on mine with a block of wood and a five pound sledge hammer... no luck... then as a last resort.... I took a propane torch and heated the tip from the inside until it was too hot to touch, but not hot enough to scorch the transom.... then I wacked them good.... Did the trick... just make sure you have an extinguiser close at hand and aren't catching anything on fire... good luck. They had been glued in with 5200... that stuff works great until you have to remove something.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Registered

5200 is a marine grade polyurethane adhesive/sealant made by 3M. It is a moisture curing single part product. It takes two days to set up and seven days to cure, but when it does, good luck getting the stuff unstuck. I've only seen it in white. It comes in metal squeeze tubes and metal caulking size tubes. Once the tube has been opened the whole thing has a tendency to cure. This is the best stuff to put under cleats and trim and anything below the water line if you don't ever want water to leak under. If the stuff you were trying to remove was extremely rubbery and tough it most likely was 5200. Good luck

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 12-28-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Registered

Originally posted by carreraboat
i cut a piece of 2x4 about 5' stuck it in the exhaust hole pried up and down side to side baby came out with out any damage. i would not try any heat. just cut the sillycone around the outside edge and you will be fine. what kinda boat you got?
This is on a 94 Eliminator 28 eagle I picked up at a repo auction for a winter project. It looks like 5200 was used. Got some good tips here to try- thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Removing Exhaust Tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.