Making Battery Cables >

Making Battery Cables

Notices

Making Battery Cables

Old 12-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAD enterprises has the cable that you want. It's very expensive welding cable. Very, very nice stuff. It's more flexible than a rubber fuel line. The stuff you get from NAPA and McMaster is way too stiff. You can also get the necessary crimp ends and the crimper from him. Screw soldering the connections. With the crimper you strip the cable, slip the end in the crimper and give it a wack with the hammer. DONE! I like to finish my ends up with colored shrink tubing from NAPA.

http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml
Old 12-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Registered

Napa even sell solder pellets that you drop in the ends. Positive terminal is 3/8'' negative is 5/16''
Old 01-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

If you are willing to use regular welding cable (which is as flexible as a piece of rope), I have about 2000' of various sizes (all black) I bought at an auction. Will sell for 1/2 of Mc Masters price. Been meaning to put it on Ebay but have not got around to it yet.

Jon, as you say the tinned cable is really great but from a practical standpoint I have never had a problem with the straight copper cable soldered and heat shrunk, even after many years if saltwater use.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Marc I agree you can run what ever you want to. I just figure if you are going to go through the effort of Pulling out the old stuff and putting in the new you may as well do it with the best stuff you can

Jon
Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

FLUX in the fitting and all over the conductor is you're gonna solder it...
Old 01-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by Mbam
If you are willing to use regular welding cable (which is as flexible as a piece of rope), I have about 2000' of various sizes (all black) I bought at an auction. Will sell for 1/2 of Mc Masters price. Been meaning to put it on Ebay but have not got around to it yet.

Jon, as you say the tinned cable is really great but from a practical standpoint I have never had a problem with the straight copper cable soldered and heat shrunk, even after many years if saltwater use.

I'd be interested....
Old 01-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad Girl,
Yes that is my boat name as well. Long story years ago, something about mad cats and Bad Dogs. Just kind of stuck.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use solder the cable ends. Go to your local Speed Shop, or Truck shop and get screw together ends for the cables. They work based on compression. You can get them through MOROSO, or Accel.

Very Simple cut the cable to length, strip 3/4" of the sheathing, install it in the end of the terminal, and tighten. Once you have done that, get some shrink rap covering, from your local auto parts store, or West Marine and cover the assembly.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Cord, I will get a list of the available sizes up as soon as I get back to the shop, probably not till Monday though.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to www.delcity.net. They have real good prices on all of your electrical needs. Copper cable and copper ends are good. Don't use the tin coated ends because they will rust away in a few years. They sell a crimp tool for the ends, don't use solder because it melts when batteries are low and high current is being drawn through the cables to the starter.

Quick Reply: Making Battery Cables

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.