Merc 496 HO  -- trouble with new technology >

Merc 496 HO -- trouble with new technology

Notices

Merc 496 HO -- trouble with new technology

Old 01-30-2002, 08:08 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 340 Vyper was the first of 3 down here.

On my motor, all the hose clamps were loose too. In fact, many were so loose, I could move the clamp on the hose with my hand. I even had engine coolant leaking out of one. All of these hoses are on the motor. The hoses that PQ attached or relocated are tight! Also my fuel filters are SO tight, I bent a pretty beefy wrench trying to remove them. They are still on, I'll let the tech remove them.
Merc needs to have better quality control!!

I too wish the dealer had given us some instruction on some items of the boat. But, the things I had a questions on, I asked them of PQ and have recieved very detailed and comprehensive answers.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-30-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Sucks....Sorry to hear that Stories like that just piss me off!!!

I think i would trailer up to Ducky's and drop it off on thier front lawn, maybe even keep going and back it through thier showroom wall

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Terrible story...Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than beating that intense level of excitement from you with a string of problems.

I can relate to the fuel filters and the oil filters being WAY, WAY over-tight. I literally destroyed not one, but two beefy filter wrenches before drilling through the oil filter and using a prybar to get it loose.

As for the hoses and wiring, there's no excuse for that. Shameful actually. Someone mentioned a delivery checklist. If the dealer did not go over these with you present they are not doing their job at all. As a matter of fact, I couldn't leave my dealership until this was completed and I signed stating that I was completely satisfied. This was after a lengthy sea-trial. That dealership needs a kick in the ass wake-up call.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:41 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

This is an unbelievable story...

Maybe you should tell the dealer that thousands of your OSO friends may be reading this and watching how they respond to your problems .

I for one would shy away from this dealer already !

When I picked up my new boat last May , we had already taken five shake down cruises and made a checklist each time of things that needed to be looked at. The support both before and after has been terrific !

It's dissapointing to see customers treated this way especially considering that sales and profits are way off in the boating industry . Now's the time for them to go way out of their way to satisfy..

I wish you luck !
Old 01-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

i totaly agree with bigwavz about the dealers being more responceabal. i also have been in the car bussiness for 20+ years and the quaility was inproved thanks in part to the japanees companys with their quaility control procedures.maybe we need the japs to start making our boats over here!! it all goes back to the manufactures by them not policeing their dealers properly!!it is sad that we can,t have the same quaility with out boats as we do on our automobiles!! my 2 cents worth: BILL
Old 01-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Brad Perry

Copy this thread to PQ, Dealer and Merc.

In an unrelated matter, I did this to a supplier, and within a day the issue was taken care of. They know that 3800+ members are reading this.

Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

WOW!

Lot's of great posts! Thanks for all the advice and help.

I hope that my experience has been a learning experience for the rest of my fellow OSO members. It's this kind of feedback and camaraderie that make an organization like OSO so great!
Old 01-30-2002, 09:45 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
I can relate to your feelings at this time. I went through a similar problem with the delivery of my new boat with my dealer. To make things worse, the dealer went out of business just after the delivery and I got porked as a result. Had to eat $600 in repairs that the dealer should have taken care of during the initial sea-trial. Your dealer is still there, I would definately make your feelings known and forward this thread to them. This is the same dealer that sells Pantera's also?? I've had my eyes on one of those boats and would have considered contacting them until now. Steve
Old 01-30-2002, 10:26 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about these type of problems, I hope you can get them all resolved in a timely fashion.

Here is another question as long as this was brought up...

Lets just say that PQVyper340's new boat arrived at the dealer and the dealer decided to take the boat out and do the water test prior to delivery. First off, can the dealer do that without you present?, if so, how would everyone feel if the dealer noted that he took the boat out for a sea trial and ran the boat HARD to make sure the rpm's were right as well as checking for leaks, etc, etc.....In otherwords, he says "hey, took your boat out yesterday and ran it at 5100 rpm's to make sure the props were set up right, GPS'd your speed and it hit 80 mph @ 5150 for 5 minutes, and I cut real sharp turns, and I flew it off 4 footers to make sure everything was tight, and I did numerous holeshots to make sure your drives were ok", would you settle for that?

Personally I would be pissed if the dealer told me he took my brand spanking new boat out and ran the **** out of it to "make sure everything was working properly".

Granted how else is there to make sure everything is just right. I just don't like the idea of the dealer performing the checklist prior to delivery.

Loose hoses from Merc?, no doubt about it, poor quality control.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:01 AM
jr

PQV, you mentioned that a Mercruiser Master Mechanic did was the person looking at your engine. Was this person an actual Mercruiser Trained Certified Mechanic? Or was he a Master Mechanic that works on Mercruisers.

Does anyone know the requirements to be a "Certified Mercruiser Tech". Is it just training and a test or is there an apprenticship involved such as with electricians to get the certification.

Quick Reply: Merc 496 HO -- trouble with new technology

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.