Prop advise 30' Eliminator Tunnel

Old 01-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop advise 30' Eliminator Tunnel

I have a 30' Eliminator Daytona with twin 572 Aluminum motors that produce 800
horsepower each. Last year I ran 34"
bravos with 1.36 gearing in an Imco
drive and extention box. I was up against the 6000 rev limiter so this year I have 1.24 gearing and want the best prop with the least amount of slippage.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

This is my first post, but have followed the tech column and enjoy all the great info provided by all of you.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I would try your 34 Bravos and see if you are still on the limiters. If you are, try a set of 36 Bravos.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Registered

rbtnt... Thanks for the suggestion but the one thing I am worried about is too much transom lift with the 36s. I have Aluminum motors and the boat is pretty light in the back end, so I am trying watch out for handling problems on the top end. These motors are N/A and don't have the weight of the blowers and intercoolers.

Thanks for the response and let me know if my opinion on lift is right?

Mike

Last edited by Daytona30mike; 01-02-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

registered jan 2003 first post jan 2004 how did you remember your password that long?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mike,

Sounds like a real nice set up.

A lot depends on where your drives are installed. My 28 Daytona and my buddy's are very similar but the stern lift is very different. I have na 540ci engines and my friend has na 600ci. We both have the same type interiors, cuddy door, cuddy loaded wife's junk, windshield, gauges, stand off boxes, drives, etc. His drives were set ~2" farther apart and has about an inch higher X. His batteries are mounted right behind the rear bulkhead and mine about a foot back. The 28's are ass heavy without the standoff boxes.

He can run Hydromotive 4 or 5 blade props no problem, I can't. My boat will porpoise a little in the 70 - 75 mph with them. I run the Bravo 1s with no problem and so does he. Turning the props in will give you less stern lift than turning them out.

I think you will still need to try the 34s and make sure they are turning in. If you are looking for good midrange, the Hydromotive P5s are great. Eliminator219 has a 30 Daytona and he is waiting to try the Mercury 5 Blades for his BMax drives. I think he is up in the 34"- 36" prop range too.

I'm moving up from 32s to 34s next year. I ran 1.25 gears for a while two years ago and the midrange acceleration from 80 - 110 was terrible and I went back to 1.36 gears. My highest speed was with the 1.25 gears and 32" Bravo 1s, but it took forever to get there.

Good luck,
Randy
Old 01-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Registered

Default Props

daytona 30-Mike
Randy mention how his and friends Cat ran, However, Mine is a little different. Your boat and mine are like apples and oranges, what works for me most likely will not work for you.
I have blown cnc Iron blocks,Alum Heads with intercoolers,B max with 130 ratio.
A couple of years ago Mercury and Hot Boat did a writeup on my boat titled "Taking it to the limits"At that time they tryed reg and shorties on my extention boxed Imcos 125 ratios with different props. they tryed 32, 34 and 36s labbed props both turning them in and out. my engines turn 6150 and they ran the biggest number turning out {131.9} while the sister boat to mine with the same but with N/A engines ran better turning in. I have trouble rolling mine over with the stern weight that I have but on the big end it is very stable. You on the other hand should have no problem getting on plane but I would guess a little squirley on the top end.
Right? If I can be of any help let me know..Im waiting for my Mercury Labbed 5 blades now, that should help me get on plane and slso pick up the 5 or6 mph I lost going with the B-maxs..
Old 01-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Registered

Eliminator219

You are probably right about different handling of the two boats with the weight factor being as it is. I just moved one drive close to a half inch as it was too close to the tunnel and threw water from the prop much differently than the other side. This change will put both drives the same distance from the tunnel as they should have been...rigging error, but not Eliminator boats.

rbtnt...

Which boat bites the water better or has less slippage? The one with the drives further apart or closer to the tunnel?

Yes, the boat is easy to get on plane even when loaded with fuel (160 gallons) and passengers. I lowered my drives an inch with spacers to keep it from wanting to lift the ass end out of the water on the top end and this helped. It also gave the lower units more cooling water sitting at that height. my props are turning in to help keep it in the water, but never tried turning out because of the lift factor.

I too am waiting for the Mercury props. What is their problem with making the new props??? I think the five blade will help alot on my boat.

I have been told that the 1.24 is hard on gears...Do you know or have heard of this problem?

Thanks for the input and any more ideas or information would be of great help.

Mike

Last edited by Daytona30mike; 01-03-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mike,

The slippage is about the same on our two boats. I have yet to hear or see where Eliminator put the drives in the right spot on the 30' Daytona.

My shafts are even with the bottom and my friends are 1" up.

Randy
Old 01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Registered

rbtnt:

When you say your drives are even with the bottom of the boat, I assume or pretty sure you mean the bottom before the step.

Do you have any idea how much of your prop is in the tunnel water, if any? Drive placement and height seem to have a lot to do with the way the boat handles and gets on plane. Who is most knowledgeable about drive and height on these 30's?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mike,

I am talking about before the notch. My drives were so close together that the IMCO boxes extended 1" into the tunnel. I feathered this overlap in. I heard that you do not want to go more than 2" higher than the bottom, but I don't know what models.

The only person I know that has a lot of experience with the 30' is eliminator219.

Randy

Quick Reply: Prop advise 30' Eliminator Tunnel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.