Stringer Replacement Formula 302 >

Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Notices

Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Old 01-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rags unlike TooOld I will be holding on to this one for a while. Unless of course some one offers me STUPID money
Old 01-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's more work than I'd ever tackle.

While it's out, you going to have the tank pressure tested and repaired if needed?
How about a good cleaning and a heavy coat of zinc chromate to stop external corrosion?
Old 01-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man those pictures scare me to death. Although I know I could do the work I don't have 1/10 th the patience you do. By that time I would have used the chainsaw to chop my own head off.

So, if you wouldn't have taken up the floor you'd have never known the rot was there? That's what worries me and since I have a very similar boat (1985 357 Formula) I'm really concerned. I had the boat surveyed before buyng it but you can only check so much and I don't think they will really check the stringers on a basic survey will they? I too could have a nice rotten surprise waiting for me. I may have to pull my floor just to see. Or, maybe I don't want to know.

My hats off to you. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us updated. The pics were great.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by Iggy
That's more work than I'd ever tackle.

While it's out, you going to have the tank pressure tested and repaired if needed?
How about a good cleaning and a heavy coat of zinc chromate to stop external corrosion?
Iggy I will take the tank to be inspected. I did find some fuel in the foam but very little. I think it may have been fuel that leaked out when it was filled up to the top. If the tank is ok and they say to go ahead and reuse it then I will paint it before putting it back in.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by bford1
Man those pictures scare me to death. Although I know I could do the work I don't have 1/10 th the patience you do. By that time I would have used the chainsaw to chop my own head off.

So, if you wouldn't have taken up the floor you'd have never known the rot was there? That's what worries me and since I have a very similar boat (1985 357 Formula) I'm really concerned. I had the boat surveyed before buyng it but you can only check so much and I don't think they will really check the stringers on a basic survey will they? I too could have a nice rotten surprise waiting for me. I may have to pull my floor just to see. Or, maybe I don't want to know.

My hats off to you. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us updated. The pics were great.
I would not read to much into this one. This boat was NOT taken care of at all before I purchased it. This boat also sat in the ocean for some time as when I purchased it it had bottom paint on it. There were also a LOT of holes drilled into the boat that were never sealed up. If you boat was taken care of and covered then I am guessing that it is ok. On my boat I could tell there was a problem before I started in but was not aware of the extent of the damage. You can see if your bulkheads are glassed over (the newer ones are and maybe yours is as well) if they are not you can push into the tops and see if the wood seem solid. Don't freek out, Formula makes a great boat and there is no reason that when taken care of they should last for ever. Unfortunatly this one was not taken care of.

Jon
Old 01-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
HOLY CRAP!

Did you see those pictures? That mass of wiring laying in a heap? Looks like an explosion at the Olive Garden.

Man, this race just turned into a cake walk.

Check out the Vegas odds makers. Once they saw those photos, the spread got wider than the Atlantic..

Oh, did I just smile?

The problem Fred, that you're going to sell it before spring!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on the project Jon, man you get this down you can get a job as a boat builder/rigger,
Old 01-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

HEY TooOld that is ok all that time you have to jump in and out of the boat to change your depends

You forget what I do for a living? The wires I can do in a day or two, it is the rest of it that is going to kill me.......
Old 01-06-2004, 08:37 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Audiofn
HEY TooOld that is ok all that time you have to jump in and out of the boat to change your depends
You forget what I do for a living?
You change depends on old people for a living??? Weird career,,, hey what's important is that you like what you do.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Got a very little done this evening. However I took a look at the bank account today and realized I had less in there then I first thought. I had to hustle to get money collected from some people. I will spend tomarrow getting out esimates and hopefully collect some more money. Then I can get back on it again. So far it is coming apart the way I had hoped. Fairly easy so far. It is dirty itchy grunt work. I worked another hour or so since the last picture. Unfortunatly I forgot the camera. My brother and I spend a little time trying to figure out how to make the template as accuratly as possible. I want it to conture the hull perfectly for added strength. Believe it or not this is actually fun

See if I am saying that after I have to grind it out

Quick Reply: Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.