Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
timing chain cover swap >

timing chain cover swap

Notices

timing chain cover swap

Old 01-04-2004, 06:49 PM
homan

Default timing chain cover swap

I was going to switch timing chain covers from stock to aluminum, I noticed I have 2 timing pointers 1 on the cover and 1 on a bracket that goes to the sea pump and alt. which is slotted for adj. Question is how accurate can the slotted on be and does pan have to be dropped to change cover, motor is a 95 502

Old 01-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are confident that the current timing pointer is correct then start by turning the crank so that the groove on the balancer lines up with zero on the pointer. Then when you reinstall the balancer you will be able to check if the new pointer lines up. If you do not remove the oil pan you may have to modify the area around the outer edges of the pan sealing area on the timing cover to get it to fit. This is easy on a stamped pan. I don't know how difficult it will be on the aluminum one.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a Gen 5 engine just like mine. The oil pan gasket is one piece including under the timing cover. Almost for sure the gasket will break when the cover comes off. Save the pieces and use lots of silicone seal when you put the cover back on. I've been looking for a 2 piece timing cover to get around this problem. Anybody know of one that fits a Gen 5?