Engine Flush/ "On the Hose" coonections on new Cigs >

Engine Flush/ "On the Hose" coonections on new Cigs

Notices

Engine Flush/ "On the Hose" coonections on new Cigs

Old 01-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Flush/ "On the Hose" coonections on new Cigs

I bought a pair of new competition Marine Machine sea strainers last month and am finally plumbing them. They have a -08 male AN fitting near the top, which Byng told me was installed for use by CRT . According to him, newer Cigs have a hull or transom mounted garden hose connection and AN hoses connecting that to each MM sea strainer. The original Perko style sea strainers had a T-fitting on the inlet and a garden hose adapter threaded in one of the fitting's legs, and the water intake tube connected to the other leg.

If anyone has a Cig with this setup, would you mind taking a picture of how the plumbing was done and of the garden hose connector. They told me CRT just uses AN hoses from the AN bung on the sea strainer to the hull pumted garden hose adapter. Do they use two garden hose adapters, or just one and then "T" it to each sea strainer.

Also, is the hose from the transom pickup to the sea strainer AN stainless braid or just "rubber/silicon" marine hose?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Plumb crazy !!

Monty,
I am a service tech for a Cigarette dealer in Md., the flush system is quite simple. First off they use 2 seperate hoses, so there are 2 seperate flush fittings on the bulkhead. CRT also uses rubber hoses marine certified to connect the flush to the sea strainer. Some people change over to braided but the corrosion can build under the fitting on the end of the hose and cause it to crack. NOT GOOD. They run the hoses down to each sea strainer. Some boat manufactuers "T" into the incoming water hose, mostly if the do not have strainers. Both ways are good. Just remember on the strainers that the water in is at the top and water to the engine is at the bottom. CRT also uses check valves on the end of the flush incase the cap comes off so the water system doesn't suck air and cause the sea pump to burn up, as well as the engine overheating.

If you can please give me a call at our shop on Monday and I can get a picture for you and get it to you. Not a big deal. I have most of these parts in stock if you need them.

Pwrbt33- John S.
Offshore Performance
1-877-gofast1
410-827-0200 x-1

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 01-11-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info John, I think I have a pretty good idea how to do it now. As for the hull mounted garden hose fittings, do you use anything special? I found a couple of Perko fittings(not stainless though) in the West Marine catalog, but if there is something nicer, I'd be interested in that.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking royal flush ...

Monty, I think the # for the flush fitting at West Marine is as follows...#281337. I know for a fact that the Perko # is #499-DP-CHR.
If you need any more help, feel free to call or email.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-gofast1
410-827-0200 x-1
Old 01-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Registered

Great, thanks. Can you tell me where CRT mounts the fitting on the hull?

Thank you for taking the time to help me, I know it's pretty trivial stuff.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking Mounted..

Monty,
CRT mounts the flush panel on the STBD side fwrd of the bilge area. So if you are looking in the bilge the flush heads will be on your left. Some 46's mount on the bulkhead in a made flush box. Also on the stbd side. Good Luck !

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1
410-827-0200 x-1