Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rtech Supersystem exceeds 1000 HP >

Rtech Supersystem exceeds 1000 HP

Notices

Rtech Supersystem exceeds 1000 HP

Old 01-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jspd, Do you know what the cfm is for those ford units and what MM. they are? Greg
Old 01-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

jspeeddemon: I know the elbow that you are talking about; all the drag racers use them. Elbows and the pipes that connect to them are the main reason for pressure loss in the intercooler plumbing. If you can't view this attachment, go to www.rtechperformance.com and you can see what I mean.

This is a picture of the setup on Turbojack's 540 with M4. He is converting from the Procharger dual carb box to Supercooler with Holley EFI intake and 2000 CFM throttle body mounted where the carb would normally sit. Having this four hole throttle body draw from the plenum behind the intercooler is much less restrictive than having a large round throttle body in line with pipes and elbows.
Attached Thumbnails Rtech Supersystem exceeds 1000 HP-turbojack%5Cs-m4-front.jpg  
Old 01-16-2004, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say that the elbows are the restriction in the system. My system goes from the procharger to the intercooler, thenmakes two 90 degree turns, connects to the throttle body which is mounted to the 90 degree aluminum elbow, then thru the intake flange. My throttle body is a large round 95 mm unit made by Holley. the bottom of the elbow is shaped to match the carb flange on a 4150 intake. I went this route to avoid the problem of the Dominator style throttle body and having to use a elbow here and deal with sealing problems from the round housing attached to the top of the throttle body. My tubin stays @4 inch all the way from the Procharger to the carb flange, which is port matched to the intake.
Then I have a FAST fuel injection computer with 95 lb injectors. Eliminated the carbs and carb box, which was a poor design from the getgo. I haven't dynoed mine since adding fuel injection, nor have I made a top end run. However before my procharger housing vibrated loose and tore up my impeller, in a 26' Daytona, this motor will annihilate the prop from a 70 mph punch, like a drag boat. That is as far as I got last year, looking forward to this year.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Each 90 degree turn looses 1/4-1/2 pound boost and the intercooler another 1/2-1 pound and the expansion and contraction of the IC is part of the problem as well as the maldistribution of flow across the IC. The 4" tubing might not be the answer as far as velocity either. Get your's all set up and then switch to a 1000cfm 4 barrel TB and Tomcat's IC and I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up 2 pounds of boost and 80HP! You need a Stellings extension box on your boat so you can 'On-Board-Dyno' it and see just how much HP and TQ your changes really make.