Rtech's Secret Weapon - 1600 HP "Big Gun" >

Rtech's Secret Weapon - 1600 HP "Big Gun"

Notices

Rtech's Secret Weapon - 1600 HP "Big Gun"

Old 01-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Chains break due to harmonics. Driving a wheel with a rubber tire on it that rolls on pavement is a self-damping arrangement. Chain/sprocket tooth harmonics are dampened by the rubber tire.

Driving the input side of a speedmultiplying gearset is setting the chain up for two sources of non-damping harmonics. The harmonics of the crankshaft pulses and the harmonics of the chain and sprockets on one side, and the harmonics of the mulitple sets of gearteeth and their accompanying backlashes on the blower side.

I'd hate to be that poor chain.

Wette,
CR is helpful for building power if you have a given quantity of fuel air mix to burn. If you can burn that quantity at a higher combustion pressure, then it is certainly helpful. BUT if you can instead, CRAM more of it in to burn, it is MUCH more helpful. You get the increased combustion pressure AND more fuel air. That equals more power.

Cool unit Tomcat.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

We are trying to do this on pump gas.

The way I look at it, the ideal 1600 HP boat engine would be 800 CID, big chief heads and less than 10 psi boost. This is just a supersized version of the 498 CID that made 1000 HP @ 6000 RPM on Nickerson's dyno. If that's too exotic then a 705 CID Merlin superblock with big chief heads and a little more cam/RPM.

When you try to do this with a 598 CID tall deck you need big chief heads, a healthy solid roller cam and even more RPM. If you don't want the extra RPM, then you have to use more boost and you will need better gas.

I don't know much about the 4/7 swap or anything else about building engines so they live. That's why I'm just the air flow guy. mcollinstn is the expert on that "other stuff".

Last edited by tomcat; 01-08-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:06 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wette Vette,
The fuel distribution issues addressed with the 4/7 swap work with a common plenum in N/A apps. The advantages are not there with fuel injection or forced induction.
Bob