Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
water in carb float bowl maybe, how to get it out? >

water in carb float bowl maybe, how to get it out?

Notices

water in carb float bowl maybe, how to get it out?

Old 01-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question water in carb float bowl maybe, how to get it out?

I think I might have sucked some water up into the carb float bowl. Besides taking it off and dumping it out, is there a quick way to do it, like maybe just disconnecting the fuel line? Would that drain it out? Sticking a papertowl down the butterflys? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks..Russ
Old 01-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Registered

If you had a long syringe type device you could stick the end down the vent tube and suck the water out. You won't get it all this way. Why not just take the carb off?

Dave
Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Banned

After the fuel problems you had, you probably would be ahead to pull the carbs and rebuild them.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Registered

Cuda, the port engine cleared up just fine. The starboard engine runs fine until I start "jumping around" then it starts dying out. Both engines originally were doing it, but like I said the port one cleared up and runs fine. Guess I'll just yank the carb off. Not like a bike where you can just unscrew the drain caps. I'm going to replace the merc fuel/water seperators with the Racorp units that have a drain bolt to drain water out and a replaceable element. It also filters ALL water where the Merc units don't. I was just thinking maybe there was a quick way to do it I wasn't aware of. Remember, the boat sat from mid Aug. till New year's day without running getting repaired. How did you make out on the hose replacement. Say hi to Deb from both of us. Russ
Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the carb off turn it over, and dump it out in a bucket. The fuel cannot get past the water in the bowl.
Also use Ispropyl Alcohol in the fuel to absorb water.
Notice how I capitalized ALCOHOL! it's important
Formula Outlaw's right again ! I had this problem with water. I dumped the filter and carb several times, after there was no more water in the fuel, then I installed a new filter and was on my way. If the water stays in the carb for a period af time it will corrode the diecast parts and make a rebuild necessary. Hope this helps,BBB
Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Registered

Another thing I did was to take a squeeze bottle and fill it with Isopropyl Alcohol and squirt it in the vent tube and fill the bowls with it mixing the gas water and Alcohol into a burnable fuel. Did this several times after getting rid of most of the water. I've found that the breathers that vent into the flame arrestor actually send crancase condensation into the carb also. Higher oil temp helps allieviate this problem. BBB
Old 02-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Big Block Billy
Another thing I did was to take a squeeze bottle and fill it with Isopropyl Alcohol and squirt it in the vent tube and fill the bowls with it mixing the gas water and Alcohol into a burnable fuel. Did this several times after getting rid of most of the water. I've found that the breathers that vent into the flame arrestor actually send crancase condensation into the carb also. Higher oil temp helps allieviate this problem. BBB
Isopropyl alchohol already has water in it... go to a paint store and buy denatured alcohol... it is the pure stuff... works better.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a container under the bowl to catch the fuel/water. Remove a lower float bowl screw. Put the screw back and dump the drainage....done.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally posted by BenPerfected
Put a container under the bowl to catch the fuel/water. Remove a lower float bowl screw. Put the screw back and dump the drainage....done.
Took the words out of my mouth. Although I didn't see what carb you were using. If it is a Holley this will work great. Also for you Holley guys that like to jump around on waves, if you will put jet extension tubes on the secondary jets it should stop this problem.

Roby
Old 02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Registered

Thanks guys....As always, help is only the keyboard away...

Quick Reply: water in carb float bowl maybe, how to get it out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.