Removing clearcoat???? >

Removing clearcoat????

Notices

Removing clearcoat????

Old 01-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Removing clearcoat????

Can anyone tell me how to remove clearcoat that previous owner had srayed on top and sides of boat. The sun has taken care of the top side and was easily removed w/ a pressure sprayer. The sides are another story and refuses to be removed. Is there a chemical or other potion I can use to make this job easier? Any help out there? JIM
Old 01-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck finding something eisier. I used 200 grit sand paper, then 400 grit, then 1000 grit. Then a heavy duty slow speed buffer and buffing compound. Itt was a lot of work, But, the gelcoat looked like new when I was done.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:16 PM
GeoGraphics INC

Why would do you want to remove the clearcoat from the sides is it in bad shape? If all it has are some scratches all you need to do is buff it, the reason the boat was cleared in the first place was either to cover graphics or to put a shine on bad gelcoat. If the deck clear came off that easily it was applied badly or it was cheap clear, if you do what Payton say's you will be a slave to keeping a shine on the boat.;