Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Removing Anti-Fouling Paint on drive.. >

Removing Anti-Fouling Paint on drive..

Notices

Removing Anti-Fouling Paint on drive..

Old 01-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Anti-Fouling Paint on drive..

Ok...I have a relatively newer Alpha One on my 1987 Formula F223LS. The previous owner applied what looks like either a clear or black antifouling paint over the stock epoxy paint. He also left this boat in the water for 2 seasons...yeeccch.. The af paint has become really nasty. I trailer my boat and I want to clean and polish the drive.

Anyway, the hull is in great shape and I am trying to clean up the drive. I tried some acetone in a small area, and it softened and removed the antifouling paint with some serious elbow grease. However, it did not hurt the factory paint. Is there anything else that I can use that won't harm the factory paint underneath? Will "Peel-Away" work? Or should I just keep using acetone?

Any Ideas?

I don't want to sand the drive and paint it if I don't need to. I just want to get the AF paint off and use my rubbing compound to polish it right up.

Thanks!

-Larry
Old 01-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a vinyl based antifouling paint like what I use on drives, MEK will take it right off. Wear gloves and dont breath too much. You can get it at Ace Hardware and Lowes too I think.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:30 PM
homan

I bought paint remover from home depot that was able to rinse off with water put it on and waited a minute then wiped off I was scraping tough areas with an old credit card. You can't leave it on long though . If the drive is original Merc. paint it should work a repaint might come off.