New motor leaking oil how do you deal with the chev dealer >

New motor leaking oil how do you deal with the chev dealer

Notices

New motor leaking oil how do you deal with the chev dealer

Old 01-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

GM certified reconditioners worked on your motor. Whatever parts they put in them were supposedly "approved" by GM. If they could save a tenth of a cent, then you can be sure that they did so.

Only one side leaked, right? This shows that the gaskets are at least 50% satisfactory. AND if the truth is known, the leak was probably due to some aspect of the installation of the gasket, not the gasket itself.

The dealer could care less, cause THEY GET PAID to replace your gasket, just like THEY GET PAID to fix GM assembly line mistakes.

GM will do some periodic accounting that will tell them how much to charge back to the rebuilder. Your gasket job will be part of one of those chargebacks.

Red tape and idiots in the service bay. That's life these days.

I send wordy faxes to the general managers, the owners, and the service managers of the dealership when I have a run-in with an uncaring service writer or manager. In the faxes, I list all of the people by name that I am sending copies to. Gets instant results. Always.

Don't waste your breath on the cashiers and service writers. Go above them at the slightest provocation.

Glad you finally got it fixed
Old 01-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FLYFAST, I AGREE WITH EVERY THING MCOLLINSTN SAID, UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH EMPLOYEES IN THIS BUSINESS THAT SOMETIMES DON'T CARE OR ARE LOOKING TO INCREASE THEIR PAY CHECK BY TURNING WARRANTY TO CUSTOMER PAY.THE ENGINE HAS A WARRANTY THAT IS GOOD AT ANY GM DEALER CONTACT ME IF I CAN HELP
JOHN GIOVANETTI
PRESIDENT
BIG OAKS BUICK PONTIAC GMC
Old 01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Registered

Johng,

I agree with you and mcollinstn is always right on the mark. I opted to put the new engine in to avoid hassels and for the warranty. In my option the valve covers were probally overtorqued by the installer. I changed the oil after 2k and the oil filter was next to impossible to get off because it was so tight. Over 30 years ago i worked in a service station and I have never had a oil filter this tight.

The good news is that the truck runs good. From my experience a 350 with little or no maintenance will run in a truck for years .

The bad news is I got a call today about the new cell phone that i ordered yesterday. The chev dealer is in the next town over and guess what so is my new cell phone account. Since I never ordered this cell phone in a town I don't even live in this points to an employee problem.

Bottom line this dealer is still wasting my time.

What do you do?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Fly,

Bless your heart.
It just sometimes never stops does it?

You'll probably have a hard time proving anything about a dealer employee ringing up a new account on your name, but it's worth a mention.

Recount your experiences on paper, and include time lines. Send it to the general manager and also to the owner and tell them that you don't expect any special favors but just wanted himto know what was going on at their dealership.

You may get a free oilchange coupon.
It's better than nothing, eh?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Registered

Mcollinstn,

With idenity theft is is hard to prove anything. The fact they used the wrong city and the fact that the chev dealer is located in that city draws a logical conclusion. It is like I can tell you the oil filter was way too tight and my end wrench would not get it off and a strap oil filter wrench would not budge it and I had to use a chain strap wrench up next to the base and move it a hair at a time doesn't prove the same guy overtightened the valve covers.

I called the cops and filed a report. I notified the credit bureaus. Now it is time to sit and wait.

I think if the truck breaks again I will take it to the cadallic dealer for warranty service.

Thanks again for your help