Acylic Windscreen Fix

Notices

Acylic Windscreen Fix

Old 01-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acylic Windscreen Fix

I have an acrylic windscreen that has a small break in it. Is there a was to fuse this together. If not, what is a decent glue or epoxy to use.... superglue?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Superglue.

If the crack will go back together "completely", then press it back in place, and run a bead of "thin" superglue down both sides of the crack.

Do NOT put glue on both "sides" and then press it together. Superglue uses capillary action, and will "go into" the crack on its own.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are specific acrylic "glues" that may work. I have an acrylic fish tank and I belong to a message board that has tank builders as members. I will post your question there and see what they recomend.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be able to "solvent" glue it. Most plastics can be glued through the application of the proper solvent which will allow the plastic to melt back together and bond. You need to see a plastics place or check with a national place like www.piedmontplastics.com for info on the proper solvent. If done correctly there is little difference in the strength of the bond and the product.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

The "glue" you want to use is a solvent cement. Solvent cements essentially "weld" plastic parts together by dissolving the surfaces where the glue is applied long enough for you to join the parts. Once the solvent evaporates, the plastic solidifies, and the parts become one. If what you're repairing is Plexiglas (or any styrene based plastic), the cement you want to use is called Comstik Cement for plexiglas. You can contact TACC International, Comstik Adhesives Division, Trenton NJ. 08619. (609) 584-1623. This is a very thin liquid that works by capillary action. If you are fixing a crack in a windsheild, the first thing you have to do is drill a small hole at the base of the crack. This is called a "Crack Check Hole". It's to keep the crack from spreading. Then you use the solvent cement as per the instructions on the can. When you order the cement, order the applicator bottle too, you'll need it. Unless you're going to use it a lot, order the small can. This stuff is so volitale (evaporates quickly, not flammable), that once you break the original seal, the contents will evaporate. Takes a while (1 year for my pint), but it will. Order a tube of their thickened cement. It's the solvent cement with plastic dissolved in it. You can use this as a filler to fill the crack check hole. I used this years ago on my Tahiti windshield. I beat the hell out of that boat for five years, and the joint never seperated. I've been using it ever since.

Paul

Last edited by Liberator21; 01-21-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Thanx all,

It's not big enough to replace the windscreen section, but large enough to bug me...
Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 AM
GeoGraphics INC

It is called methylene chloride

Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 AM
GeoGraphics INC

It is called methylene chloride

Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered

You're right. It is methylene chloride. But it will be easier for him to call the phone number, and order a can of Comstik, then trying to figure out where he's going to get methylene chloride. Unless he has a source for this kind of stuff.

Paul
Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

CAREFUL

if the windscreen is Lexan, then MEK (or plexiglass solvent glue) can/will cause cracking and crazing. Might not show up on day1, but can come back to haunt later.

Quick Reply: Acylic Windscreen Fix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.