Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle >

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Notices

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Old 01-21-2004, 07:48 PM
force 320

Default Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

I am finishing up a winter project, a 32 baja with a set of new 8.1 S HO (496 HO), runing velvet drive trannys and TRS drives, how much HP can these saftly handle?

Old 01-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

i have heard they are good to right around 500HP. a bit more if you watch the throttles. a friend of mine had 750's on trs's in a 38 scarab and went through a bunch of drives every season. should be fine with the 496's
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-21-2004, 08:37 PM
force 320

thanks glass, do you know what the weak link is with these drives, do they self destruct or just twist shafts ect.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:42 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRS Drives are known to blow the lower gears,especially the right hand rotation.JP Clear on here has had success with cryogenic treatment of gears and shafts.I think that he is pushing some serious hp in single engine V bottom.

Rob
Old 01-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

If the drives are put together with the machined shim in the lowers , they are good to about 600 hp. If there put together with the regular crush ring I would say 500hp . The weak link in the drives are the right hand drive . The lower gear in the right hand drive that is located aft of the vertical drive shaft is the most common problem .This gear is not as well supported as the left hand drive . The left hand drive gear is located fore of the vertical shaft and is much better supported. The key to these drives is to machine the shim for the lowers and a make sure that the preloads on the bearings are proper. You should be more than fine with the 496's. Tom
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baby it out of the hole, and don't air it out all of the time, and you'll be fine! I love TRS drives!
Attached Thumbnails Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle-chris-craft-075.jpg  
Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had several TRS boats and they have worked very well for me. I had a lower gear failure last spring and then I replaced both left and right lower gears with the Cryo treated gears and have not had a problem since. Not sure what my hp is but I think I'm around 700
Attached Thumbnails Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle-top-gun-motors.jpg  
Old 01-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree that the nose of the TRS gear-case provides better support for the prop-shaft gear than the carrier assmb. behind the pinion as used with the right hand drive, but I don't understand why the crushable ring won't work as well as a machined shim. The load pushing on the gear is directly against the carrier thrust ring and not the load ring. Can someone please explain? And yes; I highly recommend cryo-treating. Just be sure you have an EXPERIENCED professional do the assembly work. Shimming for bearing preload and gear lash is CRITICAL and the upper and lower must set up as a unit...not independently. I feel that most TRS drives that have been apart fail because they were not reassembled quite properly. I'm inputting about 600 H.P. to a RH drive with no problems, but I'm not a cowboy. --- Jer
Old 01-22-2004, 10:40 AM
force 320

Thank-you everyone, I am very impressed with the vast knowledge in this web site. I am going for a first time brake in run this weekend, ill let ya know how it all turns out

Old 01-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

jp, you hit it right on the head, I cannot see a benefit in the solid shim.

Quick Reply: Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.