Plumbing intercoolers? No pump?

Notices

Plumbing intercoolers? No pump?

Old 01-30-2004, 07:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plumbing intercoolers? No pump?

It has been suggested by a couple engine builders to plumb the intercoolers directly to a transom mount pickup and then out the dump. No pump only a screen in between.

Has anyone done this? Should it be done on a pleasure boat? I would think the lack of water at idle would be a problem when trying to get on plane. Not that I hammer it but at 3500 the boost does just start to build.

I am wondering what speed does this setup start to provide enough water. I know there are many variables but I am looking for some general direction.

This all stems from my whipple setup and the intercooler robbing water from the pipes. I was intending to put a dual or tripple seawater pump but then was told to go without??? I was told not to put in a restrictor in the cooler line. Any Ideas or experiences would be great.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Registered

This is correct. Just plumb it directly into a transom pick up. You'd be amazed how much water it will get. Set the pick almost level with the bottom on a conventional, and maybe a little deeper with a step hull. You should check out the adjustable pick ups from CP Performance.

Steve
Old 01-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My boat had separate pick-ups for the intercoolers when it was equipped with turbos.... I'd suggest that you have a sea strainer and a screen or the intercooler will fill with crap. Mine did... Don't worry about not having enough flow... if you get the adjustable pick-ups ... you will get lots more than needed.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Or get one of these scroll down to the bottom of the page
Old 01-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Registered

I have mine set up that way. No problem. Totalmp has it right.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Registered

Ray,

My Whipple setup takes the intercooler water from a T just after the sea pump. The intercooler outlet goes thru the transom to a braided hose connected to an Innovative Marine shower. I'm running a Gaffrig sea strainer plumbed in before the sea pump also. No problems with lack of water to the pipes (CMI's). This setup lowered my 30 psi water pressure to 20-22 psi. Dustin gave it his blessing as well.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

My cat was plumbed that way. Pick-up on the bottom, and dumps out the transom over the drive. It actually acted as a drive shower while running. I was running a strainer in between as well.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Registered

I plumb them, from a pickup toward the rear of a sponson on tunnels and transom on everything else.

Pickup to sea strainer with relief valve to intercooler to oil cooler to transom dump.

This keeps fuel puddling to a minimum at idle and lets the oil get up to temp.

It starts flowing a soon as the boat is on plane.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Ray, do not let the cooler core go dry. The transom pickup is OK, but we also run a #4 or #6 line from the sea water pump to the cooler, this pisses just a small amount of water to it at all times. If the core is dry a backfire with flame in the intake can melt the core.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:08 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Ray I run mine the same way. except that I use my out drive pickup to supply my inter cooler, and I use a
1 1/4" thru transom for my engine. Dustin Whipple had me do it this way 3 seasons ago, and I have had no problems ever sense

Quick Reply: Plumbing intercoolers? No pump?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.