is 50ft vee too heavy for XR's?

Notices

is 50ft vee too heavy for XR's?

Old 02-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default is 50ft vee too heavy for XR's?

Is a 50ft Vee hull such as a Nor-Tech or Hustler with triple 575's too heavy for XR drives? If the boat is mainly kept at cruising speed and never leaves the water will the drives hold up? I have been told by several people that the drives won't last. Do you think it is true if the proper maint. and the boat is driven responsible?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember that someone here posted that their 50 Nor-tech was eating them with 575's. You might search for the thread.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:16 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

IT DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE
Old 02-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No first hand experience, but I'd agree.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

They'd be okay if it had nothing more than a stock 496 on it.

I'm saying that 10,000# is the limit for XR's with 500+ hp.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I broke both of mine last year in my 386 Sonic. I'm going to put billet top caps on this year and hope for the best. The top cap broke on the starboard drive taking everything out and the vertical shaft broke on the port side. Had to replace the lower unit.

If your going to use the boat as a floating condo and a cruiser you should be OK but be careful in the rough stuff.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

mcraymond3,

I'll probably jinx myself, but I've got triple 700's running thru XR's with about 100 hours since the last drive rebuild. Hull is a 13,000 pound 43' Black Thunder. Never suffered a drive failure per se. I have broken a tooth (twice) in the starboard drive pinion gear. Total hours on the drives are about 450. Center drive is all original. Drive lube is changed about every 50 hours Boat is maintained on a lift as our boating is in salt water. Most outings are long distance involving higher cruise speeds for 2 to 5 hours. Drive ratio is 1.35 using 5 blade Hydromotives.

That said, if I had the room, and the boat was a bit longer there would be triple #6's instead of the XR's.

Steve
Old 02-11-2004, 10:41 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

IF YOU DON'T ALREADY OWN THIS BOAT I WOULD LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE. I'M SURE THAT THE PRICE LOOKS GREAT IF IT IS FOR SALE. ( STAY AWAY FROM IT )
Old 02-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks guys for all the input, keep the info coming! Also, the xr's are new with 1year warranty.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Lightbulb Here's something to think about as well...

If you do happen to choose a boat with the Bravo One XR drives, adding a good drive shower to cool the drives would be a good idea. I have used the Simrek "halo" drive shower with good success. Frequent drive lube changes are wise. This might be a little over kill, but personally, I change mine about every 20-25 hours or so. Also, going easy on the throttles when planing off (no hole shots) and throttling back on the drives during re-entry.

Also, there are some good aftermarket shops out there that add strength and longevity to the existing gear case of the Bravo One XR drive with notable success. I have heard good reports here on OSO about Max Machine Worx upgrades they provide or can install for you. The much larger B-MAX drive is another drive based off the Bravo One drive that could be installed as well.

I wouldn't throw your towel in yet on the Bravo One XR drive just yet. Just remember, there are TONS of Bravo One drives out there and no word on discontinuing them as yet from Merc. The Bravo One is going to be around for a while. Therefore, there are all kinds of up-grades available for the Bravo One from many different aftermarket compainies that are constantly trying to improve and upgrade the Bravo One outdrive.

Last edited by KAAMA; 02-11-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: is 50ft vee too heavy for XR's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.