Top 10 Newbie Mistakes >

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Notices

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Old 02-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

I would like a take from some of the old dogs on the board. I am somewhat new to powerboating and I would like the advice from the pros as to what are the ten biggest screw up newbies make with their new boats. It can be mechanical or moral... Just help the new guy.

Thanks
GarDog
Old 02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Registered

Remember this about advice: If its free, its probably worth it.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Safety equipment should be the FIRST concern.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...a few things that have stranded me:

Never run your outdrive without a water flush connection....not even for ten seconds.

Change your sea pump impeller no less that every two years.....more often than that if you don't obey the rule above.

Service your trailer every season or eventually, you will end up on the side of the road instead of at the water.

Boat fuel gauges lie worse than politicians.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

At the ramp???? DON'T FORGET THE DRAIN PLUG
Old 02-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Respect the ocean/lake you are on. Water is very unforgiving and very hard at anything above 40 mph or so!

Weather is NOT irrelevent. No matter what anyone tells you. Respect the weather.

Check your oil!!!

Keep a stocked safety kit. Everything from bandaids to scissors. You can buy a good one for very little money at Boat US or West Marine.

Life Vests!! Enough said.

If on the ocean or one of the Great Lakes, VHF can be indespensible. Cell phones cannot always be counted on, but bring it along.

Check your oil!! (did I say this already???)

When in doubt, give way. Assume other boaters do NOT know what they are doing. Better alive and wrong than dead right!!

Red right returning.

Take a Coast Gaurd class on safety and navigation. I enjoyed it very much, even though I probably could have taught it.

Master the art of docking without an audience!!

Learn how to launch your boat alone and with help (if you trailer that is). You cannot always rely on getting any help. Again, pick a week night at a quiet ramp and practice. No audience means no pressure!

There is a lot more I could add, but I don't want to seem like a know-it-all. Probably too late already! LOL!!

'Foul
Mike
Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

ALWAYS have a life preserver on board for everybody. The kiddies must wear theirs. And it has to be the right one.

If you have VHF and a gps learn how to use them! You may need to give a gps position at a moments notice.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

I have seen a lot of broken outdrive skegs from guys pulling their boats out of the water without raising their outdrive.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Registered

Don't forget the drain plug...

Don't drop your cell phone in the water while tying your boat up at the dock at the launch ramp.

Don't leave your fenders out after you leave the dock
Old 02-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Load the boat, attach the lines, start the bilge blowers, etc. before backing the boat into the water. When loading back onto the trailer, get the boat loaded and out of the water before unloading all your stuff. An experienced proficient trailer boater will not tie up the ramp.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.