Cross overs and water temp??

Notices

Cross overs and water temp??

Old 02-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross overs and water temp??

I want to clean up the front of my mills with cross overs do you have any problems with water temps running them??? I had then once on a blower motor but the guy that built it kind of jerry rigged it and the thng was way cold blooded , if you run stats in them they should run the same as with water pumps right????
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! I'm currently running a 120* tstat, and it barely moves the temp gauge. In the warm Ozark water on a 100* day I'll maybe see 130 degrees (hard to tell because the gauge isn't graduated). I'm gonna try adding a restrictor plate at the block inlet and I'm going to a 160* tstat.

The engine runs so cold that in humid weather, the intake manifold will develop some serious condensation.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

ihave the same issue no water temp to speakoff and that cant be good....
also i believe because no restriction my water pres gauges only read about 7-10 pounds at 80mph..
but there is plenty comin out the back????
i dont like that i would like to see at least double that number.
ideas???

thanks
Old 02-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Thats my biggest concern....I dont want to puyt them on if I cant make good water temp like 150+ I'll leave the old ugly Merc crap on that works....
Old 02-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Registered

good plan,, i thnk?? i dont know enough about the marine chit but i know when i was racing motorcycles we would tape off radiator to get the right temp on 2 strokes woouldnt cold seicze and when raced 4 strokes would do that but also my ewngine builder would calculate what oil temp and water tmp would need for opt power and dial it in,,
Old 02-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi water pressure

I switched to the water pump deleate kit last year and installed the pressure guages in the seapumps and at idle I get 5lbs and wide open I would peg the guage.I installed some pressurse dump valves and wide open it's abot 20-25lbs.now I was given a 145 thermostate with a hole drilled in it and it stayed cold I put a 170 in with no holes and it stays 140-150 runing it hard it gets to 180 I'd like it to run a little hotter at wide open
Old 02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a crossover on last year's blower motor with reasonably good success. Mine had a bypass with a orifice installed in the bypass. It was a 1/2" pipe plug with a 3/8" hole drilled through the center of it. This was inserted in the bypass hose. I used a 142 degree T-Stat with (3) 3/16" holes drilled in it. I was getting about 155 degree water temp. My oil temp was an indicated 200 degrees. These temps were at normal cruising rpm's and would increase whenever I would run it hard. I wanted to see a higher oil temp to "burn off" any condensation in the oil. There were signs of condensation when the motor was torn down. I was running a Perma-Cool Oil T-Stat.
I am looking at other Oil T-Stat setups for my new 540 project. I like the idea of using a bypass style crossover as it also helps to alleviate excessive cooling water block pressure, a means to regulate temp with the orifice and supply a constant water flow to the exhaust system.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RLW, was it just your oil temp that increased when running hard or your water temps also?
What was your water pressure?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-17-2004, 02:12 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both water and oil temps increased maybe 10 degrees. Remember, it was a blower motor. I would not run wide open for very long periods of time. My water pressure was about 5-7 psi at idle and never exceeded 20-23 psi at WOT. I am also running a "Blue Globe" impeller which seems to be more pliable than a stock Merc Impeller. What I am implying is that possibly the pressure output could be less due to the softer material.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your achieving good pressure with no relief valve; correct?
Did you ever notice any pressure flucuation when the thermo opened and closed?
Thanks Again,
Dave

Quick Reply: Cross overs and water temp??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.