Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
is a spring a spring? >

is a spring a spring?

Notices

is a spring a spring?

Old 02-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Talked to the people at Comp Cams and they have seen 10 to 15 horsepower on big blocks on their dyno with these new springs and no harmonics or valve float. They also have a spintron that they ran these springs on up to 6500 rpm with no problems. I think this is a great new spring. Our new eibach spring we designed and built for our new 496 aluminum heads is the same basic spec and we had similar results and are going to use this spring exclusively on cam lifts to .650.
Raylar
Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Re: is a spring a spring?

Originally Posted by Raylar
Check out Comp Cams new 26120 springs and technology. These springs will do everything the cam in the HP500 needs and with the smaller valve system mass thay won't beat the hell out of the lifter pins, which are the weakest link in the big block valve system.
Check it out!
Raylar
I ordered all the stuff to do it, ( 26120
springs, the recommended 795 retainers,
612 locks, 4697 spring locators, 4754 shims)
started checking installed height, I was about
.150" too short, leave out the spring locator,
it was about .090" too short.

I'm aiming for 1.88"

Called their tech line, told them the application,
their suggestion.......have the spring pockets in
the heads machined........not the answer I was
looking for........so, back to jeg's they went.

Until they come up with a different retainer,
you can't get there from here.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the comp hi tech are very good, the set i have used went to 8500 with 700 lift with no problems

but if you want the best spring all around, call PSI springs, they are costly but they are the best you can buy
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

You want any spring made from Super Clean Chrome Silicon. This is an endurance type of material that was developed in the early 90's to have the spring rate of Tool steel but the longevity of Chrome Silicon.

Chris
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Titanium retainers not only have the benefit of being lighter, they are also much more fatigue resistant. Remember, it isn't the static weight we're talking about here- it's the point in time where the valve stops moving but the mass of the retainer wants to keep moving. Ti retainers are going to make life a bit easier on your valves.

2. Heat kills valve springs. The best way to increase lifespan and reliability is to have your springs treated with a thermal dispersant coating Most high performance valve trains have greatly reduced oil flow (rollers) and that means reduced coolant to the springs. On top of that, the springs have a small surface area to conduct heat out from. Thermal dispersant really helps.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
1. Titanium retainers not only have the benefit of being lighter, they are also much more fatigue resistant. Remember, it isn't the static weight we're talking about here- it's the point in time where the valve stops moving but the mass of the retainer wants to keep moving. Ti retainers are going to make life a bit easier on your valves.

2. Heat kills valve springs. The best way to increase lifespan and reliability is to have your springs treated with a thermal dispersant coating Most high performance valve trains have greatly reduced oil flow (rollers) and that means reduced coolant to the springs. On top of that, the springs have a small surface area to conduct heat out from. Thermal dispersant really helps.

something you might not know chris is that Ti retainers slowly get eatin away, next time you change your oil, cut your oil filter open and look at it, you should see little silver specs
the reason i know this is because i work on 2 race cars making atleast 800hp N/A that run in the low 9s and we have to replace the Ti retainers more often then the steel

but you are right in that they are lighter

just something to think about