I need a new AM/FM/CD Receiver

Notices

I need a new AM/FM/CD Receiver

Old 02-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new AM/FM/CD Receiver

I need to replace my head unit. I want to buy something with a wired remote and 4 RCA preouts. Any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MACDAD,

Same here. Add to my "wish list" an mp3 player function. 4-5 hours on a single CD sounds attractive. I'm also looking for a sub preout to go along with F/R preouts. I can keep it dry in the cabin, so marine head unit is not important to me.

So far, all I've found out is that Sony units have the cleanest wired remote capabilities. The RM-XM10 Sony remote looks like it will do the trick, and there's also the MRC-2 remote from Access Technologies, which is Sony compatible.

Kenwood also has wired remotes, but I've not come across anything that appeals to me.

There's a thread on wired remotes in the Formula forum that you might want to look at:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=70734

I'm still in research mode, so I'll share what I find. Please do the same.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 02-29-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Registered

Default Marine Stereos

Hey guys I am in the Marine audio business on the whole sale side..There are a number of good options for head units but Sony I refuse to carry due to a fair amount of warranty business that I went thru...their 12 volt stuff just doesn't seem to hold up for seasons under the vibration of a power boat...Clarion is a good choice and I do carry them and am allowed to sell them retail to you..Mb Quart would be another good choice these two brands seem to handle the vibration well...speakers and amps are another issue but for head units feel free to email me and I can get you enough info to make a good choice with-in your budget.

[email protected]

Damian
Old 03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

Not to take away a sale from this guy, (because clarion and Mb Quart are awesome brands), but anything you want to know about car/boat audio is on a websight called the12volt.com.
Mb Quart speakers etc... are talked up pretty big on that sight.
Make sure that you go through someone who knows what they are talking about when hooking up amps and subs to certain headunits. A good head unit with front and rear and possibly sub RCA outputs is a must!
my .02 worth.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Rivercrazy

JBL also introduced some very nice marine head units, changers, and marine wired remotes in the past few years. They are very nice. I've seen them at Overton's for pretty decent prices

Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Thanks for the help, everyone. My boat has a Soundstream 640 watt amp, 2 10" subs and 4 6" Pioneer Marine speakers. It had a Pioneer AM/FM/CD head. The radio in my truck took a dump so, since I have been wanting to upgrade the boat to something with wired remote capability, the Pioneer is now in the truck. It worked well in the boat, no complaints. The overall system meets my needs so all I want to do now is replace the receiver with something at least as good but, with a wired remote. I also want something that has two pairs of preouts and preset equalizer bands. I'm just looking for suggestions and free advice.

Thanks, Doug
Old 03-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Registered

like I said. Go to the12volt.com and tell them what you have and what you are looking for and someone will have the answer for you.
my $.02
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macdad, I found a link for the MB Quart receiver. Looks like a nice unit, but I'm still looking for more info on their wired remote. One cool feature I see on this one is a 30-second buffer for the CD/MP3 player for the anti-skip function.

Check it out...

http://63.74.14.174/marine_receivers.shtml

Brian