trim tab....top end loss??? >

trim tab....top end loss???

Notices

trim tab....top end loss???

Old 02-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim tab....top end loss???

I have a set of 12x12 single ram trim tabs on my 2102 VIP, Alpha, 350 MPI. I only use them when way loaded or when the water is rough. I seemed to have lost a little top end after installing. I may not have the back of the tab out of the water enough. It measures about 1/2 to 3/4" above the heigth of the bottom of the hull. The front of the tab is about 1/4" above the hull. I am going to unhook the ram from the bottom of the tab, and duct tape everything up and out of the way to see if this is my problem, this spring. If it is, does anyone know if there is a way to shorten this brand of tabs up(the ram itself), like you can Bennet's? Someone posted earlier on how to shorten the ram stop tab on a Bennet. My trim tabs are Trim Master Marine tabs and ram's. (www.trimmaster.net). Is anyone familiar with these tabs? I really don't want to have to re drill holes in the tab or boat, to raise the tabs up. Thanks, Justin.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about shortening the ram , but you could probably redill the tab and move the location of the lower end of the ram rearward. This would raise the tab. Then epoxy the old hole shut .
Old 02-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Are these Bennetts? If so, you may be able to move the location of the ram where it attaches to the tab. That would be easier and better than moving the tab on the boat. Don't forget that every penetration into the hull is a potential leak.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

went to the website.
looks like the actuator already attaches pretty close to the rear edge of the tab.

I predict that you will see your speed return when you lift the tabs up a bunch.

I am used to seeing the tabs mounted closer to an inch above the hull edge and able to pull up to more like 15 degrees out of the horizontal plane.

Friend just picked up 2 mph by completely REMOVING his tabs from a 42 MTI/Fountain
Old 02-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered

These tabs are Trimmaster Tabs (www.trimmaster.com). The way my tabs are set up, is different than most applications. The top of the ram comes from the bottom of the rear deck of the transom. It comes down angling towards the front of the boat. Therefore, I would have to move the bottom of the ram towards the hull, to raise the tab. If I do this, what would be the best way to fill these holes? Do they make a good epoxy that would work on aluminum?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

I have the trim master tabs, and I thought the same thing as you, because I mounted mine as the instructions say, and only have that slight angle up. I disconnected the rams and tied the tabs up out of the way, and found no difference. (I didn't lose any speed to begin with). Do you notice the boat riding with a more bow down attitude than it did before? That would indicate the tabs aren't retracting enough. That would also slow you down (more wetted surface).

Paul
Old 02-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

Thats what I was feeling. So you didn't gain any speed by taping everything up? But it still felt slower? I think I will try it anyway and see what happens. How far up is the rear of the tab from the bottom of the hull on yours? I'm pretty sure that the tabs are pretty close to the center of the tab. I don't think that moving them will be a big prob.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Registered

I had a 97 272 Baja with no tabs (454 carb) and could outrun my friends 99 272 Baja with a 502 MPI. Equipped the same. Same amount of coolers and people. I was told when I ordered the boat that I didn't need the tabs on the river and that they will only slow you down.

my 2 cents worth
Old 02-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Registered

I just think that If I can get them out of the water far enough, it would be like not having them. But I will not give up the ability to trim them down a hair when I'm on a 35MPH cruise, in the rough chop of the Mississippi. It completely stops any porpoising, no matter who's in the boat, and where they are sitting. I think I just need to move the ram on the tab.
Does anyone know what I can use to seal the extra 4 holes that I will have in the tab?