Notices

Whipple

Old 03-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lavey,

I had to do the same as Nordic on my Fountain with a Teague XR that had the dual pickups. The Whipple is fantastic and I highly recommend it.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Registered

Rockie,

The home work was done mostly with you guys right here at Offshore. What a great bunch folks with a ton of info that they are very willing to share. We really do have a fantastic fraternity. Thank you

Tom
Old 03-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Registered

Dave,

I would be very interested in reading that bulletin. You can fax me @ 714-5385461. My X dimension is standard production which I don't think would be considered high. After the install we will be doing a water pressure test and installing a guage to reflect that number as well as a fuel pressure guage.

Tom
Old 03-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Breathe,

Do you have a high X dimension? Did you enlarge the lower intakes?
Tom
Old 03-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get a pretty good idea by lowering your drive to parallel and see where the upper holes are in relation to your V or pad.
Fax is on the way.
Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Registered

Dave,

Received the fax- that was really fast service, thanks.
It's really confusing re: the valve,gasket question. Dustin emphasized that, with only 65-70 hours on my engine, that those items do not need to be redone. He also said that he has engines out there with 150-200 hours on them with the stock gaskets and valves and they are still running well. As I don't intend to race, and normally only cruise at 3500-4000, he said don't do it. A buzz to 5 grand periodicaly wouldn't hurt either.
Of course, I would never do that.

Tom
Old 03-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

Hotlavey,

Yes, I enlongated the lower two holes on the bullet with a file. This was per Dustin's instructions. The upper holes were tapped and plugged with, I believe 1/16 NPT pipe plugs. I now have 20+ psi at wot.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Registered

Hotlavey,

I talked to Bob Teague at the Miami show about this and he felt 16psi was adequate. The low pickups on my stock LWP bravo gave me 30+ before the Whipple install. That's way too much according to several on this forum.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally posted by 28Eliminator
HP350SC. You are probably ok for this year. I have talked to Dustin many times and he has designed the kit for a stock system, so it doesn't need head gaskets. But the stock head gaskets will not last a long long time since they were not designed for this application. Detonation is brutal when it happens on any motor and I wouldn't expect to have any gasket hold up, but when you throw the air at it, we are not dealing with a stock setup. I am not an expert with this stuff, but when I pull a head off of a motor that has 250 hrs and the gaskets are deformed and falling apart, it's not hard to see why they don't last long after supercharging.
NordicHeat has a good point about the water pressure. Dustin told me that this is the most important thing, especially with stock heads to keep the hot air pockets from forming inside the heads. Hot spot in head = detonation = melted pistons.
hotlavey, add gauges to your list of $$$$$. I have a low water pickup on my imco lower unit and my water pressure is around 20psi, but when I had the stock bravo1 (5hours) I only had 5psi. You may have to install a offshore water pickup to get the water pressure you need. Your XZ might have a low water and side pickup, my friends does and his water pressure is just fine. I guess every setup is unique.
O.K. I think I will run it this summer as is. I ordered one of the Merc. relief valves to keep press. at <25lbs. My boat (22' Stoker) is a mod-vp tunnel hull. Ran 90 gps before Whipple. Going with a Max machine worx 1:26 drive with 1" shorter sportmaster with low water pickup. I'm hoping for 110mph gps...we'll see!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

I'm having the Whipple installed the first week in April by a pro. It does include instruments and a trial run to check the fuel pressure, water pressure, timing, etc.
After all the help from this forum I decided that a professional install would be the safest way to go. There is so much that needs to be tested by someone familar with this install I felt I better have them do it as they will have the expertise.

Quick Reply: Whipple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.