Notices

malstrom 32

Old 03-01-2004, 07:11 PM
lt4supr

Default malstrom 32

Anyone with info on the maelstrom 32 ft cat,would be helpfull.My close buddy has bought a 1989 32 maelstrom with 3 - 2.5's offshore sport mercs.After the first ride in it she porposed on us at 5 grand and it takes all the trim down to stop it but it naturly slows down.But the engines {outside} appear to be to low and the engine's bottom cowlings are pushing water and low enough not to be able to be trimmed out much at all before hitting the transom. my first comment to my buddy was stern was to deep in water? The boat has no tabs,and lower unit fin.s sit about 9 inches below the bottom.
All input is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The measurement for the lower units is from center of prop shaft to the bottom of the boat. The center motor will of course be different. Back in the day those malstorm hulls ran very well. When your Buddy gets that boat sorted out I think he will be happy. What props are on that boat? A malstrom 32 hull with 3 omc formula1 outboards held the open class speed record at one time. Over 130mph if my memory serves me correct.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Registered

I have a 32 Maelstrom with two SBC 800hp Blower Motors.The boat is sloppy until about 55mph and then it starts packing air and rides nice.I am still dialing in but I hope to see about 100mph.The stern sits low.I am running Kaama surface drives with 28X17.5 four bladed props.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

fishead What is the beam on your boat? Do you have any idea of what the weight is?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Registered

The beam is 10ft and the qeight is about 8000lbs.I am running Kaamas witht the twin disc 502 Tranny.I am running SBC's from Troy Dennis(I got them from somebody in NJ,Jim Miller) great engines.In am messing with the gearing in the outdrives.I am going with a 13% over drive to start.That may be too steep with the prop I am running.It only takes about an hour per side to change gears.I have sets that will take me to 13% under,8% under,8% over and 13% over.I might as well start high and work down to get to the power range of the motors.I am going to call the cam company and see exactly what Rpm range I need to be in.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered

fishead I am friends with Jim and Jean. Keep us informed of your progress. 8000# seems a little heavy for a 32' Those boats ran very well in the day.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:17 PM
lt4supr

Thanks for your replies,the 32 were playing with has a beam of 10 ft.The prop shafts are within a half inch of being even with the bottom.there are no planes or tabs on it ,putting tabs on, puts them right in the flow of nose cones.

Fishead ::::: our 32 has 3 2.5's where are your fuel tanks.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

It4supr You did not mention what props that boat is using. Does that rig have any set back on the motors.
You could add ballast weight in the bow but that would not stop the porpoise. Maybe a wedge in the tunnel if nothing else works.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:04 PM
lt4supr

Hey thanks .
The imput is helpfull,thanks .The engines are on power lift brackets{manual} and only set back a inch or more off the transom.As far as the Props, i cant to them now, as i'm back to sea.
But once again thanks to all who have given us input.
keep on going .

Old 03-06-2004, 07:05 PM
lt4supr

Hey thanks .
The imput is helpfull,thanks .The engines are on power lift brackets{manual} and only set back a inch or more off the transom.As far as the Props, i cant get to them now, as i'm back to sea.
But once again thanks to all who have given us input.
keep on going .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.