Mercury "Vengeance" Prop >

Mercury "Vengeance" Prop

Notices

Mercury "Vengeance" Prop

Old 03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury "Vengeance" Prop

I was puttering around my boat last night (new and haven't had it in the water yet) and was taking a look at my prop. It is a Mercury "Vengeance" 23p. It is on my Baja Outlaw 20'. I haven't seen anyone mention this prop on this site before, so I am assuming this prop sucks. I have seen the Mirage mentioned quite a bit. Is this something I should consider replacing?

Last edited by Pointerman; 03-02-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

Also, is the Mercury prop selector worth a darn? My prop is 23p and they are saying that at a minimum I need a 26p prop. Looking at the description of the Vengeance prop is doesn't even support the HP I am running (350 MAG MPI, 300 hp). The prop is only supposed to be used to 250 hp. Are the folks at Baja idiots or is the Mercury site too generalized?

P.S. The Baja Outlaw 20 is a 3K lb. boat with Alpha drive with 1.62 gears.

Last edited by Pointerman; 03-02-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

Well you defiantly do NOT need a 26p prop. A three blade 23p sounds about right. As for the Vengeance, I have never herd of it. I would find someone who has a Mirage 23p and see if there is a performance difference. It will not matter if the prop you are testing comes off of a Bravo or not because they are interchangeable. When you do, report your findings, we would like to know.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

my 16 donzi classic came with a vengence. pretty much an aluminum prop made out of stainless.. ie entry level non real performance stainless..

i've progressed waaay beyond those days now...

the mirage is a popular propeller for a lot of applications... but not always the best for every boat... it helps to try a good variety... mercury, turbo, hydromotive, and so on and so forth...

a lot of factors determine which prop and style of prop will perform the best on your boat...

JR
Old 03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The vengence prop is definately not the best performing prop out there...It's kind of an economy performance prop.

A Mirage in a 19 to 21 pitch should give a nice improvement.

I think, but am not sure, but the mirage may also have a slightly larger diameter.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered

I have had a lot of good luck with turbo props.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Baja Daze
The vengence prop is definately not the best performing prop out there...It's kind of an economy performance prop.

A Mirage in a 19 to 21 pitch should give a nice improvement.

I think, but am not sure, but the mirage may also have a slightly larger diameter.
Why would you recommend a step or two down in pitch?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pointerman,

First of all congratulations to you on your new money pit, I mean boat.

Jaroot is right. The Vengence is a Black Max aluminum prop but cast in Stainless. It is a prop that provides adequate performance for a wide variety of boats. That's why manufactures put them on the boats. It's also the cheapest stainless prop Mercury makes.

Your options are almost endless as far as prop selection goes for your boat.

I suggest that you get the boat on the water and get some time in it. After have had it in a variety of water conditions then you can decide what you want from a prop.

Each of the different props has different characteristics and is designed for a certain type of boat and application. When you have a better idea of what you use the boat for then that narrows down the type of prop you need.

There is no such thing as a "best prop". What works for one may not work for you.

Congratulations on your new boat and happy boating.

Matt
877 842 6855
Old 03-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to strongly disagree with you.

The Vengeance is a fantastic prop! Every bit as good as a Mirage just a different blade set.

What makes the Vengeance props different is the Diameter of the blades. The Vengeance line has a smaller diameter than the Mirage. Similar to a Tempest.

I've done extensive prop testing on my 22 Pachanga (my buddy owns a marina) I had found a bit over 3 mph gain with a 23 Vengeance over the 23 Mirage Plus. In my case, the little Pachanga would not pull the big diameter of the Mirage (14 5/8" I believe) and ran about 300 rpm's more with the smaller dia. Vengeance of the same 23 pitch.

Over the past 2 seasons I've tried many props and for this 22 Pachanga the Vengeance was the fastest by a longshot.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vengence is recommended for boats 22" in length and less. But again there are many props to select from. I would suggest getting some seat time and then set forth some performance goals. You may be quite happy with the Vengence for your performance goals but every Driver/Throttleman is different in the style.

As Matt said "there is no such thing as the best prop" The best prop is the prop that acheives your goals....I beleive Biggus has attested to this. He is obviously very happy with the performance of his boat...and that is what it is all about.

Julie

Quick Reply: Mercury "Vengeance" Prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.