HELP, yanked distributor...timing timing timing >

HELP, yanked distributor...timing timing timing

Notices

HELP, yanked distributor...timing timing timing

Old 03-09-2004, 02:06 AM
trobertsuk

Default HELP, yanked distributor...timing timing timing

Am I screwed?

I was taking off my intake manifold to have it polished and was told to mark the distributor position, which I did on the on the distributor base and manifold. So then I pulled the distributor out. Yeah I know, duh!

Seeing the distributor gear freely spinning I realized that I should have yanked the cap first, marked the position of the rotor or taken a photo of its position before pulling the distributor?

How do I reset the correct timing? I also planned on installing a cam/lifters while the manifold is off and now this whole timing thing has me freaked out.

95 454 w/Thunderbolt system

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

trobertsuk,

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are going to go any further you should enlist the help of someone that has had a little experience!
It really is not that difficult to change the cam but if you haven't done it, it is very easy to make stupid mistakes that can cause you a lot of headache & cost you $$$.

Having said that, to answer your question about setting the distributor back in the motor in the correct position is as follows:

1) Remove all of the spark plugs, you will need to rotate the crankshaft around a couple of times and it is easiest with the plugs out.

2) Sit in the engine compartment on the port side of the motor, holding you right thumb as tightly as possible over the #1 spark plug hole (port front of motor). Using a 3/4" six point socket on a 1/2" drive on the harmonic balancer bolt, turn the crankshaft in a clockwise direction (when you are facing the motor from in the boat) until you start to feel air being forced past your thumb, you are on the compression stroke.
Watch for the markings on the harmonic balancer (depending on how old your motor is you may or may not have numbers on the balancer) keep turning the crankshaft slowly until you are about 6-8degrees before top dead center (TDC). Repeat this again to be certain (you will need to have almost 2 full rotations).

2) Drop the distributor into the motor so that the distributor rotor faces toward front starboard direction of motor and the wire terminals face aft. The idea here is to have the #1 spark plug wire line up with the rotor. Going in a clockwise direction on the distributor cap, you will need to check that each wire goes to the correct spark plug. Starting at the front port of the motor #1 cylinder, the opposite side (starboard front) is #2.
The port side is odd #s (1,3,5,7) the starboard is even#s (2,4,6,8).
If the distributor won't drop in you will need to turn the oil pump drive slightly with a long flat screwdriver until the distributor will drop in place.

4) The motor should start. You will need to time the motor with a good timing light next.

I have to go to my office now so I will pick this up a little later.

Tom

Last edited by TomR; 03-09-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotate the engine so the no. 1 cyl. is at top of stroke. If you have valve covers off, check to see if both valves are closed on no. 1 cyl. If so you're on the compression cycle. If not, rotate the crank 360 degrees. Install distributer with rotor pointing at no. 1 spark plug wire. If you don't have the valve covers off, you can guess and have a one in two chance of getting it right or take out the no. 1 spark plug and, with your finger over the hole, rotate the engine until you fell a puff of air. Then check your timing marks and set to top dead center. This should get you close enough to start the engine. Then pull out your timing light and finish the job.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to my regular login, lost my password late last night.

Thanks for the input.

My friend is a pretty good wrench and will be installing the cam and degreeing it, but he is out of town and not available for a few days. We plan on installing the cam this weekend and I thought I’d seek input before that time. And I'm sure he'll be busting my chops about this for some time to come!

Gonna be quite a few peeps boating this weekend in Cali…82 degrees!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that you pulled the distributor out without marking it is irrelavent, since you are changing the cam. When you put the cam it, just line up the chain gears to fire either #6 or #1 and drop in the distributor. Then set up the advance with a light.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally posted by checkmate454mag
The fact that you pulled the distributor out without marking it is irrelavent, since you are changing the cam. When you put the cam it, just line up the chain gears to fire either #6 or #1 and drop in the distributor. Then set up the advance with a light.

Exactly!