Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Interco trailer axel trouble >

Interco trailer axel trouble

Notices

Interco trailer axel trouble

Old 03-11-2004, 05:18 PM
rlavigne

Default Interco trailer axel trouble

I was wondering if any body out there knows if the spindle's on an interco 3 axle trailer can be replaced? the lead axle has a bad bend in it and it looks as if the spindle is bent, if the spindle cannot be replaced who would carry a replacement axle for this type of trailer.

This trailer is for a 27ft Formula SR271.

Thanks ,
Rich

Old 03-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most all spindles are replaceable. Just need to cut out the old one and weld in a new one. You can buy just the spindle and hub assembly from many places such as Champion Trailers. The spindles themselves run around $20 each. If the axle is bent bad, they sell complete axles also.
I had a set of axles bent to a different profile before at an trailer repair shop.

www.championtrailers.com
Old 03-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most trailer axles have a small upward bend or arch in them. The spindles are relpaceable you have to cut the old spindle out and weld in a new one, but if you have someone fix it for you it is sometimes cheaper to buy a new axle.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are the axle tube would bend before a spindle would. I would just change the entire axle and be done with it.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replaced two spindle on two different trailers successfully. The spindles have a round section that inserts into the square axle tube with either fillet or butt welds to complete the assembly.

Cutting the old one out was the biggest part of the job. I removed the axle assembly and used a chop saw after jigging things up to remove the least amount of material and make the cut as square as I could. Use a fresh blade and be patient cuz you're cutting 2" plus/minus of solid bar stock that's been welded so it's tough stuff. After removing the old spindle and cleaning off any paint, zinc, grease/oil, whatever, line the new spindle up. I used a sliding "T" bevel to transfer and duplicate any camber that may be in the opposite side. I then MIG welded using multiple passes to create a solid weld joint. Then clean it again, prime, paint, and reassemble.