Notices

Windshield

Old 03-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield

Is there an easy way to make a windshield for a 270 baja. I dont have the old windshield to make a template.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

4 pieces of posterboard
roll of wide masking tape (1.5" to 2" wide)
Scissors
Pencil
Some duct tape
Some wooden rulers or those extra long paint stir sticks.

Do a temporary wrap and rough cut your pieces of posterboard. Cut "too much" off the bottom AND "too much" off the top. Use duct tape to anchor the stir sticks around to "hold up" the posterboard windshield.

Wrap the rough cut posterboard around taking time to get the profile and curve the way you want it. Masking tape it to the wood pieces.

THEN cut short pieces of poster and fit it to the deck of the boat cutting it o match the deck exactly like you want it. Tape it to the main posterboard in pieces, slowly filling it in.

Then do the same for the top curve.

Get it like you want it. trim and retape as much as you like

When finished, take it off the boat and use it for a pattern to cut the bottom curve of the plastic for the windshield. DO NOT CUT THE TOP PROFILE YET.

You may have to cut and heat and bend and recut the bottom to really fit it right.

After you have it meeting the deck and curve the way you want it, go ahead and screw it in place. THEN lay the poster on it again and trace off the top profile. You can cut it on the boat or off the boat, doesn't matter.

You'll finish that top edge with a scraper blade and then with a torch to polish it up.

good luck
Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike havn't you learned yet, poster board falls apart when you get it wet.......

i'd say tyri to find a local plexi ro acryrlic shop and have them mak eit for you if it has a funky curve in it.