Bravo III vs. Alpha I >

Bravo III vs. Alpha I

Notices

Bravo III vs. Alpha I

Old 03-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

What everyone has said, but I think you will enjoy it more with the B3. No torque reaction, especial on acceleration and you will be doing lot's of that while skiing. Also will stay on plane at lower RPM which you might need. I think the 350 Mag will be fine, but if the 6.2 is in your budget go for it.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Shameless

Originally posted by deacboater
interesting point, shameless... what engine would you suggest? the 6.2 is the largest engine Sea Ray lists as "available" for that boat, although I'm sure I could talk to the dealer about a custom order....

http://www.searay.com/index.asp?disp...qtype=1,8,9,19

I have been away from Sea Ray for a couple of years, but I am surprised you can't get the 375 hp 496 as an option. I wonder if it is for room??? I currently have the 6.2, and it is an awesome motor. The 6.2 is well worth the money over the 350. Technology is up to date as well being a GM vortec motor. The 6.2 is not the same as the 6.0 that comes in GM trucks. It is a stroked 350. If it was me, my preferance leans towards the Bravo 1 with a 4 blade Bravo prop or the new Hydromotive Q4-X. All your concerns about the B3 are correct. If you boat in a shallow area and tand to scrape the skeg or nick up the props, it is costly to repair, and worse yet, if you really hit something and damage the gears, you better be sitting down when you get the reapir costs. If you get the B3, you only have one prop choice. If you get the B1, you have many more choices for props. The B3 will have no torqe feel and backing up ability is awesome with the B3 as well. On average, it is about 3-4 mph slower than a B1. In my opion, because Sea Ray sets their X-dimension so deep, if you go with the B1 and a 4 bladed prop, will will be very happy with skiing ability and cruising efficiancy and will be a litle ahead on the top end as well.

Old 03-25-2004, 06:26 PM
MAG502NUM

In your application, the B3 will have EVERY advantage over an Alpha except for prop repair cost. Supposedly the new cupped props for the B3 are even better. Small V8s or V6s or heavy boats is where this drive really shines. Most fast big blocks wont like it as it produces alot of stern lift , slowing a faster hull down....not to mention the added drag that comes into play @ 60-65 mph. In your case, you will love the B3 if you're not boating around a bunch of underwater obstacles.