Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stainless manifold bolts? >

Stainless manifold bolts?

Notices

Stainless manifold bolts?

Old 04-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used them on my exaust manifolds and intake for years with no problem's. I use the allen head cap type.just plane old stainless! Oh and my exaust manifold's are stock cast iron 454's, so don't worry!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Danny_Ocean

I have used them on my exaust manifolds and intake for years with no problem's. I use the allen head cap type.just plane old stainless! Oh and my exaust manifold's are stock cast iron 454's, so don't worry!

I've been tempted, but all it takes is one bolt to snap off in the block and my day is ruined!

Maybe I'll try some bolt torque stress-testing on an old block.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 04-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who needs some foreign import cheap stainless bolts holding their engine parts on. Automotive Racing Products provides the finest in fasteners. Their polished stainless hardware is second to none.
Spend the money, buy the finest. Quality pays, it doesn't cost.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

I can share some engineering insight to this discuss, bear with the dork talk. The most common general bolt torque equation is:
Torque= Friction Factor (.2) x Bolt diameter (minor thread)x bolt tension. This relates the torque on the bolt to the tensile it applies to the threads.
The most common stainless steel has a yield strength (where the bolt starts to stretch, not where it fails) of around 40 ,000 psi. A 3/8 - 16 bolt has a minor diameter of around .0310 inch (varies a bit depending on class fit) . So a torque of 35 ft-lb will apply approx 6775 lbs of tensile load on the bolt. That makes the stress in the bolt about 22,000 psi, well under the yield strength of any stainless hardware that is decent. I do agree with you with the HD remark, you never know what you are going to get from those type places. I buy a lot of hardware from Mcmaster Carr. You get it super fast and reasonable costs.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

ARP rules. I have 12 point head type. You won't be breaking an ARP bolt off in the head unless you get really overenthusiastic.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless can be made to be very hard and strong. Just think of stainless steel vernier measuring calipers or stainless exhaust valves. I'd go with the arp. People have been severely hurt and killed due to inferior cheap fastners. These things have found their way into nuclear powerplants , heavy industry and lifting mechanisms of all sorts, probably even NASA. I think ARP knows about fasteners and metalurgy and has a good name to live up to. BBB