Alternative engines >

Alternative engines

Notices

Alternative engines

Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative engines

Is there any need for a new engine deign ofr offshore boats? I am contemplating the design and production of a V12 (60 degree) version of the Big Block Chevrolet or 429 Ford SCJ.

I don't know anything about offshore boats but it would be useful to know if an engine like this would be useful to any high performance boat applications.

Please let me know if this engine configuration or some other that you have in mind would be useful to you.

Best Regards

Jon Schmidt

[email protected]
motorsportsdesign
schmidtmotorworks
Old 03-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have a website?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

A 60 degree motor would be useful because it is narrower. That is always a good thing, as it allows the drives on a twin to be mounted closer together without staggering.

Furthermore, a 60 degree motor can have raised intake ports for a straighter shot into the motor, if you want to take advantage of that benefit (which you should). Problems lie in a couple of areas: height- a 60 degree motor will be taller. Raised and upwards angled intake ports will make the motor taller, too.

As far as a BBC or SCJ "base", how are you figuring using them as a base if you are changing the vee angle? You just talking about sharing bearing sizes, rods, pistons, lifters, rockers, valves and springs? Okay. I'll buy that. If that is the plan, why SCJ? Parts are much more readily available for the BBC.

How about a SOHC setup with ball-pivot rockers and hydraulic lash adjusters? That is the biggest single gripe on the BBC. Too much valvetrain mass and flexible actuation. SOHC will allow the cams to be positioned inboard on the head, where they won't interfere with exhaust risers like the outboard cams on a DOHC. No moving lifters, since the lash adjusters will be fixed in the head pockets and provide the motoinless fulcrum for lightweight but strong rockers to bear directly against the camshaft. This will allow lighter springs.

And for springs, plan to allow room for 2.25" of installed height and be able to accomodate .700" of lift.

No reason to go to a 4 valve motor. 2 valves is just fine, just as SOHC is just fine.

Now bring it on .

(you are aware that there have been some 90 degree BBC based marine V12's on the market, aren't you?)
Old 03-30-2004, 09:14 AM
MKast

Turbine.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The falconier. V-12 all alminum. A real work of art. Also bankrupt.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Market may be limited, build a better Bravo to go with it. The way I see it without going to #6 you can build plenty of power with a BBC by cubes or blower. Many of us would have more power if only the Bravo would hold it.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:01 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

the torque v12 cool setup big power on pump gas, also bankrupt
Old 03-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I *believe* the torque was the reincarnation of the falconier.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:42 PM
cstraub69@comcast

The Allstar engine was designed for that. She is around 800CID. Not much bigger then a BBC engine. Cost is around $30K. I think she is 1000#/ft torque and 1000HP. RPM is around 5500. Mercury had/has some involement but I don't know where it went from there. It was the brain child of Niel Manton.

Chris

Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a dumb a** question. How much more real dollars does it take to build a 800 ci engine than a 283 V-8? Think about it, how much more metal is really there. Yes some parts will cost slightly more to tool etc. and there is an economic factor in R&D and volume sold but I think vendors charge what we will pay. There still is X number of bearings, X holes to finish and so many assembly steps etc. Over Simplification to a point but it does not cost what many charge.

What is the up-charge from Merc to go from a 350 SBC with B1 to a 330 BBC with B1? About what you can buy a crate 502 for.

Maybe we can get a group discount for about 10,000 800 CI engines, how many OSO'ers are there?

Quick Reply: Alternative engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.