oil temp sender location ? >

oil temp sender location ?

Notices

oil temp sender location ?

Old 03-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil temp sender location ?

Should I have my oil temp sending units installed before or after the cooler.This would indicate two different temps depending on location.
The way I have it plumbed now is after the coolers due to simplicity of hose routing.The coolers are Hardin marine with themostats and are suppose to maintain between 190 and 230 degrees.

thanks

Bob
Old 03-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them in the oil filter brackets.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Many schools of thought on this. Most seem to put the sender right in the filter pad. That is where mine is. Probably best to have the sender in both locations. My thought is that you could have the sender sort of removable and check both locations. Once you have a baseline if either varies much you know something has changed and needs attention. Once I got my sender in and t-stat installed I have never seen much of variance. Always right around 220 and 240 at WOT summer. A little cooler in spring and fall water. If you checked both locations and established a baseline the pan may be the best location as you can assume the cooler will always be doing a consistent job but something may be going on in the engine to raise temps. Any problem with the cooler would show up in water temp but perhaps not to as great of a degree. You should get lots of advice and opinions on this, both locations have their merits.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Registered

For the pad location you can make one real cheap. Just go to Wally World and buy a digital candy thermometer and drill out a brass plug the same size. Fit the thermometer in the plug and JB Weld it in. For 12 bucks you get a high and low memory. Put the on line gauge in the pan and spot check the pad.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 38KV
I have them in the oil filter brackets.
Mine is going in the remote pad also. Blue Thunder has his there too I think. He suggested that location to me.

You know me Bob, not a mechanic. But, shouldn't the sending unit be located before the cooler? That way it seems you'd know what the oil temp is before cooling. However, if the unit is located after the cooler, it seems like you'd find out fast if a cooler / Tstat failed. Just "shoot'n from the hip" here, now I've confused myself again (

When do you plan on firing those new puppies up?? How about a pic or two.

Bill
Old 03-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Registered

Bill,
I have thought the same as well. Oil is pretty dang thick until you get it up to 190 or so. I like to have mine on the pad (besides until the engine comes out I can't put it anywhere else) so you know your oil is up to temp before hammering it. However as I said before once you get the baseline you will know. If all is well in the engine and you feed it oil at 200 it should be fine the rest of the way through. If it comes back at 240 and you have a HUGE oil cooler it may be a touch to hot in the pan. Look at it this way, if your cooler was monstrous and your oil was 300 in the pan it still could be cool after the cooler. That is my logic for spot checking the pan and monitoring after the cooler. Make sense or should I go get a beer and think about it?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

BD,

It makes sense to read it coming out of the engine before the cooler .The oil should be at the highest temp @ this location.

Kid ,

Hoping to fire the engines in a couple more weeks. The cylinder heads are still in the shop waiting on springs.

Bob
Old 03-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Registered

BadDog, How fast, or at what rate does the oil in the system circulate? I did not know {or didn't think about} the oil would stay in the pan long enough to get much warmer than that which was circulating through the system. But it makes sense that it would get warmer, if there is a large volume, or accumulation of oil in the pan. How would you get a sending unit to the pan? Drill and tap, or maybe stick it in the pan drain location?

What you say does make sense. For sure, go get beer/s. But not to think more, but as a reward for thoughts already expressed. As always, I'll have JD
Old 03-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered

My stock pans have a pipe thread plug on the left side of them. Not sure if there low enough to always be submerged in the oil though. If they are you could place a sender there.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Registered

Check the oil temp in the pan... then if you are having a problem with the engine... you will see a spike in the temp in the pan... don't measure the oil temp after it has gone through the cooler... won't tell you a damn thing other than the tempurature... the whole point of having gauges is to moniter what the ENGINE is doing... If you are starting to run lean... you will see the temp rise in the pan... you won't see it in the filter pad.... or after the cooler.

Quick Reply: oil temp sender location ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.