Notices

fuel lines?

Old 04-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel lines?

do fuel lines have to be hard lines to be coast guard approved? As I have just changed intakes and my stock lines will not fit!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do have fire rated rubber fuel line. You should find it between you gas tank and the water sep. filter. Should be printed right on it U.S.C.G. approved.
To the best of my knowledge , the braided stainless is not C.G.approved. Nobody I know of has ever been bothered by the Coasties for it , but heaven forbid you have a fire and the insurance companies get involved
Old 04-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

This may not be 100% correct, but the way I understand it is that stainless Aeroquip Automotive type line is not USCG approved on the pressure side of the pump. You can only use it on the suction side. The pressure side has to be hard steel lines..
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 PM
220BR

I'll try to find the coastie reg, but when I read it several months ago, I found no requirement of hard lines only. Hard lines are acceptable as well as Class A1 (or something like that) rubber reinforced line. We need to see the reg to be sure.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:04 PM
220BR

33 CFR 153.558 says that the fuel line on a pleasure boat from the pump to the carb must be "USCG Type A1" fuel line.

You can find rubber fuel line at the Marine store that is stamped "Type A1"

Old 04-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

Is "A1" grade only rubber, or are there alternatives? I am doing over all my fuel lines currently, and this is good to know. I was planning just to use stainless braid for everything.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Just go with hard lines. You can buy lines at auto parts stores with the inverted flair ends on them already. Just bend them and you're ready to go. Or you can buy a flair tool and make your own from asratch.
Gary
Old 04-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

One thing not to do ! Learn from me. I made up a line from the filter/water seperator to the pump. Just went to check on boat, and fuel was leaking into the bilge. Even with the check valve it was syphoning and running probably helped by a completely full tank. I used copper tubing and had flared it. It lasted two seasons +. I guess it's not tough enough to withstand the beating and vibration. I had at least 5 gallons of gas in the bilge. Sounds crazy, but true! I ended up disconnecting fuel line and the leak stopped!. Will fix when it stops raining BBB
Old 04-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

why couldnt a person if they wnated the looks of braded do the over lay kits ontop of the type a1 usg rubber hose?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Registered

To be legal the the lines must have USCG stamped on them.

Quick Reply: fuel lines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.