too embarrassed to ask >

too embarrassed to ask

Notices

too embarrassed to ask

Old 04-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too embarrassed to ask

Just picked up my "new" 382 fastech. Had it in the driveway getting familiar with it. Radio was working. Went back to play with the radio and can't get it to turn on along with the cd changer. Acts as though no power, meter reads 12V at breaker switch. Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Registered

Is there an amp? This should be fuse protected, a little white barrel or a push in fuse. Sometimes it is on the back of the radio or on the amp. You can make a test light with a lightbulg, two pieces of wire and some tape. Follow the wires till the current stops. Tape the wire to the pos and neg on the bulb and touch the hot wire with the ground on something grounded Cheap and easy.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Danny_Ocean

Fuse? Connector plug at back of radio? Are any other accessories not working?

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 04-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Registered

Pulled radio out-Fuse ok. Couldn't find a fuse on the amp. I'll go out and look again. It appears the only components not working is anything associated with the radio. (Amp, tuner CD exchanger)
Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Also do you have to ahve your key on, depending on if they put a saftey shut off in the keyed position? Is the face plate ttached all the way in and locked down, many times these have become loose and wont look like it at all if your getting power to it. If the radio powers up does the cd changer make a noise like shuffling disks, if not check the connections to the changer and from the radio. As for the amp should be some power light indicators on it to see if powering up or not. check the remote wire on the amp if everything else is good like constand and ground. this will let you know if it is getting power from the radio to it or not. If these dont work let us know. John
Old 04-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Registered

It acts like a main switch to the radio system, but the radio switch is turned on in the cabin circuit breaker box. The boat has a generator-I wouldn't think this matters. Where would the power to the cabin siwtch be? All my cabin lights work, the fridge works, etc. Just not the radio system. The radio is the type where the faceplate opens to access the tape player and you close it to play it. (Kenwood DPX 4010 w/ Remote on dash-Factory installed) Are there any switches located anywhere else in addition to the one in the panel located in the cabin? Also, I didn't need the key turned on when it initially worked.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a reset circuit breaker by the switch that you can press? it might be hanging up if it poped the circuit breaker. Flip the switch back and forth a couple times as well. Also is there a fuse on the back of the radio itself? so raidos have some dont, chck that, and check that the plugs pins are all straight and making contact. I think it has been said before, check the radio switch for power on both sides of the swithc, goto radio and check for power at the plug end by the radio, check both the constand lead and the keyed lead at the readios plug with it unpluged from the radio. If power there, check the face plate contacts, might need to clean the contacts on the flip part, and also make sure that it is lining up right when closed back against the radio. hope this gets it kicking again.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Registered

I'm going to repeat what everyone else said.
Check the power going to the radio. Start at the radio using a test light (or meter), and work your way back to the main power switch. A lot of radios will have two power feeds. One is radio power, the other is a memory line. They both should have power. You also want to check the ground line to the radio, make sure the problem is not there. The amp and CD changer are usually controlled by the radio, so if the radio goes dead, the amp and CD unit will appear dead too. I'll also tell you about an odd ball problem I have only seen a couple of times. The microprocessor in the device got interrupted (confused) by a glitch in the power supply. The unit sat there dead. One even sat there dead except for the display lights. When this happens, all you do is remove all power to the unit for a few minutes. When you reconnect it, the micro resets, and all is well.
I've only seen this happen on a couple of car radios, but I've seen it quite a few times on TV's and VCR's. I've even seen it happen on a universal remote! I've had a couple of customers kind of pissed at me because they were charged a house call, and all I did was unplug their set! I know it's a little far fetched, but keep it in mind.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Registered

Default too embarassed to ask!!!

OK, time to look stupid, but I'll eat crow. I tried everything everyone asked me to. Got so frustrated decided to go out and enjoy the boat at Suguaro Res. and forget the problem. Went to fire the boat up on the launch and the motor went click click click. Battery was dead! Not so dead that the lights, trim, all other 12v DC components worked, but didn't start the engines. Threw the switch to combine the batteries and the engines fired right up. Once the engines fired up, the radio started working! Apparently the amplifiers will not supply any power to the radio if the voltage is less than adequate. Go figure Sorry to bother everyone with this! BTW-Had a great day at Suguaro!!!
Thanks to all!!
Old 04-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dukenrock,

This stereo system has a security feature that will disable the unit. There is a section in the owner's manual that tells you how to program it. In addition, there is also a "sleeper" mode that will activate under certain conditions. To reactivate, touch the right lower corner on the faceplate with one finger. Had the same problem when I first got my 382 (used) last July. I find the Kenwood stuff very complicated and difficult to get to know. Contact Kenwood or let me know if you need me to copy parts of the owner's manual if you don't have one.

Quick Reply: too embarrassed to ask

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.