Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Drive Upgrade on a charged HP500 >

Drive Upgrade on a charged HP500

Notices

Drive Upgrade on a charged HP500

Old 04-05-2004, 06:45 PM
DP Magna

Default Drive Upgrade on a charged HP500

I am thinking about putting either a whipple or procharger on my hp500 and dont know what upgrades are needed on my stock Bravo 1 drive.

Does anybody have experience on this topic?

Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently having a Whipple installed on my HP500EFI. I have been told the XZ Bravo will handle the increase if you don't hammer the throttle out of the hole.
I will find out.

Tom

If you have spare cash, you don't own a boat.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
DP Magna

Thanks Tom.

Keep me posted.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Registered

I have a 1999 Baja 36 Outlaw with 605ci.,750hp naturally aspirated motors built by John Lingenfelter. I have been thru many sets of drives. Even if you are easy on your drives out of the hole, the huge torque you motors will be making with the blowers will eventually trash yours drives.They normally break when you are cruising along not at wide open. I currently have a set of Imco Extreme SC drives and they have held up well. I put these on the boat last June and after 90 hours of running they seem to be strong enough. Prior to the SC's I had a set of Imco Extreme Bravo 1's. These also worked quite well but I moved up to the SC's for some added security. I don't know how much boost you plan on running but if you are going to be over 700hp you should seriously consider the SC's. If you are in the 600-650 range the Imco Extrme's will probably work. I still have my Imco Extrme's and am planning on selling them. Hopefully this will help you in your decision.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Registered

Drill it, How much for one of the drives? How many hours are on them? Do they need any work? I may be interested in one of them. Please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

Drill it, How much for one of the drives? How many hours are on them? Do they need any work? I may be interested in one of them. Please let me know.
Thanks.

Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Registered

Tom,
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I am looking for $3500 for one drive or $6000 for the pair. These drives cost about $7500 each brand new Thur Imco. I bought these new from Imco in the spring of 02. There is about 40 hours on each drive. They are in excellent condition and are ready to go. As I mentioned in my last post, I replaced them last June (03) and they have been in storage ever since. I thought I might be selling my boat and I was going to put these drives back on it when I sold it. I changed my mind on the sale so now I have decided to sell the drives as I no longer need them. I really would like to sell them so if you have any interest let me know. Hopefully we can work something out if we are close on the price.

Thanks,

Drill It
Old 04-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Registered

You could sell your drive(s), and get a Bravo XR instead. That should handle the load unless you are going huge on HP.

Something to consider.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Drill it,

No problem on the delay, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am interested but, as I have never had to replace a drive, I am not sure what I will need to do. Will this be a simple, take the old one off and put the new one on? Are there other components that I will need? If you can, give me a little advice re: this conversion. I do have full Imco Hydraulic steering and I assume it will hook right up to the Imco drive, correct? What exactly did Imco do to the Bravo? Appreciate any advice you can offer.
Thanks again-

Tom
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered

Jay,

What is the difference between the XR and the Imco Extreme? HP is approx 700-750.

Tom

Quick Reply: Drive Upgrade on a charged HP500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.