Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone have a propshaft dyno ? >

Anyone have a propshaft dyno ?

Notices

Anyone have a propshaft dyno ?

Old 02-07-2002, 03:11 PM
Intolerant1

Post Anyone have a propshaft dyno ?

Particularly in the Chicago area but also interested in info of anyone running one. What type, cost, etc. I'm bouncing around an idea to open a dyno shop. Chassis dynos for cars and bikes, an engine dyno for engines and adaptability to propshafts. Any info or ideas appreciated. I would povide dyno's at an hourly rate and the customer would do his own tuning.

Old 02-08-2002, 12:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My buddy has a prop shaft dyno. It is not the one the Land and Sea makes. It more accuratly measures preasure at different RPM's. We use it more for testing under load then anything els. I think that he paid 500 bucks for it or something like that. The ones similiar to his that I have seen for sale have all been in the 1000-1500 range.

Jon
Old 02-08-2002, 01:48 AM
Intolerant1

I had somthing more like this in mind http://www.superflow.com/

Old 02-08-2002, 08:15 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ummm ya just like it..... NOT That is interesting for sure. How much does that thing cost?

Jon
Old 02-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Intolerant1

The motorcycle chasis dyno's come in at 12-15 thousand depending on options. Not sure on the engine dyno but I may have a line on a used one.

I'm really suprised nobody else has piped up. This may be a better idea than I thought. I better erase this thread before somebody else sets one up.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Sammy

Can someone explain to me how a "prop shaft" dyno works and or differs from a conventional
dyno.

THX
Sam

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Sammy ]

Old 02-08-2002, 11:28 PM
Intolerant1

You just hook up to the dyno using an adapter similar to a drive shaft that is connected to your propshaft. This could be done using an engine dyno. A chassis dyno, on the other hand, measures hp at the rear wheels by placing the vehicle on the machine with the rear wheels (or wheel for motorcycles) on a large drum. Both dynos measure power by monitoring the force applied to the drum or drive shaft, and engine rpm. Some dynoes use water presure, others use a heavy drum, while others use elecrit current.

Old 02-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Sammy

Thanks Chris, if anyone knows of any shops that offer this service in the Detroit area let me know. One other question, are the prop shaft dyno's relatively accurate.

THX
Sam

Old 02-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Intolerant1

You will have some loss of power resulteing from the drive. For instance, a motorcycle losses about 12% horsepower in the drivetrain (clutch, trans, chain )measuring hp at the rear wheel VS measuring hp at the carnkshaft. The dyno's are very accurate although you will get different readings in actual hp depending on variables such as weather. These dynos will also give you a corrected hp number that takes weather into concideration.

Still suprised at the lack of response to this thread.

Old 02-10-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am working on a shaft dyno that will attach to a stellings extension box. It will have a digital display on the dash and read real time TQ and HP while you drive. What do you think of this?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a propshaft dyno ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.