Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
25' with 250 Mercury OB >

25' with 250 Mercury OB

Notices

25' with 250 Mercury OB

Old 04-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Buddy79

Default 25' with 250 Mercury OB

I got my first real boat last year with a 17' Montauk and while I do really like it I wish it were faster (34 knots WOT) and bigger. I found a 1999 25' Fountain with a single 250 EFI Mercury and was wondering if anybody here could help me with some of my concerns.

Is this a good boat? What kind of performance should I expect? I have never road on a Fountain at all and really have very limited experience and funds too, I'm 25, just love boating. My little Montauk has a little 90 4-stroke and I'm really sort of worried about the life span of the 250 EFI 2-stroke. I have read online these motors will run anywhere from 300 hrs. to 4000 hrs. It has 300 now, so is it wore out or just getting broken in? I live on a closed freshwater lake where bowriders and pontoons are all you mostly see I just love a center console, more versatile for my all around use. My neighbor is wanting to buy my Montauk and I'm real tempted to go ahead, I love the way the Fountain looks, just could someone please offer some opinions I would truly appreciate it.

My first post here so if it isnt right or where it belongs I'm sorry

Old 04-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

What is the main purpose of your boat? Ski, fish, cruise, hang out? The Fountain you mentioned must be one of their fish models. A 25' with a 250 O/B is not going to be a real screamer if that is your goal.

I don't know a lot about O/B's so I can't answer about the lifespan of that motor.

Dave M
Old 04-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy79,
I would ask this question in General Discussion for better traffic.

Fountain makes a good boat. I've never been on a 25 center console (on the water) but I think for an inland lake you would really enjoy this size of a boat. It is a Mercury? I wouldn't be overly concerned with a motor with 300 hours on it. But like with anything used you just never know. If the rest of the boat looks to be in good condition chances are the motor was also taken care of. Ask for service history or you could have it checked by a professional shop in your area that specializes in outboards for a fee that would give you some piece of mind.

I have a center console and love the versatility of the boat.

Cordell
Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Registered

Forgot to add that your probably looking at around 50 mph.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

Default Im thinkin

Set up right with a light load it might go 58.. Fountain is definatly a "good" boat.. Merc had some reliability problems with early optimax motors.. Very usefull boats
a freind has a 21 center console that he works like a pickup truck for building materials
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Buddy79

Yea I just use the boat for riding around mainly, occasionally fish, ski, or just whatever. I'm not exactly looking for a "speed boat" just something I dont have to get passed by everything in. I love my Boston Whaler and its versatility but it cruises at about 25 mph at 4k, slower than the traffic on my lake and it feels like I have to run at WOT or just get to the side while everybody passes me. Found a used 150 mercury and thought about just replacing the 90 but that's against the law here and I decided if I want to go faster just get a faster boat. At 50 mph or better I'll be fast enough. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Buddy79

Oh yea it is a Mercury Bluewater series EFI 250, 3XX hours. Found a couple with the 225 but I want all the power I can get and the ones with 225 are roughly the same money.