Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Big Block Chevy Intake decision >

Big Block Chevy Intake decision

Notices

Big Block Chevy Intake decision

Old 04-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I pondered this same question. So I pulled off the iorn dual plane and replaced it with a Weiand Excelerator. I like the fact tht it does not have a flat bottom in it witch aids in 2 things. It helps straiten the runners out and it decreses the volume of the plentum. I neaver had a problem planing off either but would like a few more RPM's up top. I have not ran it in the water yet but it has a quick responce on the garden house.

Rag's
Attached Thumbnails Big Block Chevy Intake decision-dryfit1.jpg  
Old 04-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 500 hp motors are single planes.I would differently go single . most of your rpm will be from 3000 and up so your not going to loose much torque

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. I'm gonna go with Victor Jr's.

Anyone have two they want to part with? The next selection is going to be valve springs...

I have heard that it is critical. Better to be a little stiff than a little soft (valve float is bad). High quality springs are a must due to the constant rpm.

Discuss...
Old 04-12-2004, 09:30 AM
cstraub69@comcast

You want a spring made from Super Clean Chrome Silicon, trade names are Cyloy, Pacaloy, Alpha, Nextec. The pressure of tool steel, the longevity of chrome silcon.

Chris

Old 04-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

What are thoughts on these intakes offered on e-bay.
$165 regular $199 polished. Looks alot like the Victor jr's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...471622480&rd=1

Also would you use a carb spacer with a single plane? I have a 1.5" spacer on my dual planes.
I read this on intake spacers and now a little lost.

"Spacers are very valuable tuning tools. But their use is for fine tuning a carb on a particular application.

You have 3 basic types of spacers, open, 4 hole and a shear plate.

The open spacer is to extend the plenium. This will have the effect of making a carb smaller in laymans terms. What it really does is by moving the carb further away from the vacuum source (engine)the carb will receive less "signal" thereby pulling less fuel from it. It will also increase the velocity of air supplied. If your carb is already too big you can see where this can hurt performance.

In higher RPM applications the increase in velocity can help. Still maybe not the best choice. This helps to explain why with a tunnelram and no spacers you get away with oversize carbs. The large plenium on a tunnelram pulls less signal so the carbs "think" they are smaller.

The 4 hole spacer will extend the length of the venturi's. This will help the carb get more "signal" almost as if reducing the size of the plenium. This is most useful if using a tunnelram or if the carb is borderline on too small. It will also increase the velocity of incoming air.

The shear plate considered "Top Secret" until the last year or so is just a 4 hole spacer with a series of larger steps counterbored on the bottom side of the spacer. It kind of reminds you of a bullseye target several counterbores getting progressively larger. These are used to help shear the air/fuel mix entering the plenium. By this flaring out on the bottom side of the spacer it will disperse the fuel more equally throughout the plenium this helps to ensure every cylinder gets the same air/fuel mix making more horsepower through equal tuning."

Last edited by Rookie; 04-12-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:34 PM
cstraub69@comcast

The copies of the edelbrock you see are Professional Products. these are Chinese copies. Manifold is a decent piece, kinda a hybrid of the Victor, Brodix, and Bowtie. Can have some bad core shift and would recommend a port match if using.

The intake track or the exhaust track work on pulses of air. These pulses have specific lengths based on CFM that make them more effiecent. These track lengths can be tuned for HP or Torque. A spacer can be used to get the proper pulse length for the intake track.

Most popular spacer now is the HVH Super Sucker, developed 25 years ago by Joe Petelle and outlawed by Winston Cup, this spacer corrects the fuel signal. When used with a 500 incher they are worth around 15HP over any other spacer.

Chris

Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Registered

Plus, Edelbrock is made here in the U.S. When I was younger, saving the ten bucks (or so) was the way to go. No more. Money needs to stay here...

Sorry, I'm passionate about that.

I was curious about carb spacers myself. I bought one Victor Jr. and looking for a second. After I get my motors up and running I may play with that.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Registered

I run the Air Gaps and 750 Demons on my 454/400hp Cyclones, can't tell you if they helped much over the original intakes or not as they were on the boat when I bought it, they do seem to deliver steady power all the way through the epm range though.....Fred
Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 AM
TURB02256

I think Edelbrock just started building rectangle port Torker II. As spacers go the ony one I have reciently tested that realy did much is the 4500 adapter to a 4150
base. Granted this was on a Ford small block. I have just gone through An RPM , a dual plane dual quad, and a Victor Jr. Tried them all with and with out spacers, 1" 4 hole, open and the 4500 adapter. The adapter beat them hands down.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Registered

Not to jump in on the post, but what intake would you guys run on an HP500.? Is there an improvement over the stock Dart manifold? Thanks.! This is an interesting post, cause I always thought on boats dual planes were the way to go.!

Quick Reply: Big Block Chevy Intake decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.