Notices

Tire Rating

Old 02-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Wild Horses

Post Tire Rating

The tires on my tri-alxe trailer are just standard Hercules P225 75 R15 with a load rating of about 1900#. In 3 years they have never given me a problem touring around Ontario.... but going to FL is another thing. Should I be concerned. I'm duplicating a spare rim and tire for the trip. Lets see 1900 x 6 = 11,400# and the trailer and boat with a load of fuel is 11,800#. What do ya think?

Old 02-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The first thing I always do to my trailers is replace Radials with Trailer rated tires Stiffer sidewalls,less heat buid-up @ less chance of trailer "wagging" just my pennies worth but lots of trouble free miles behind me!!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. the P in youre tires #s stands for passenger as in car @ the smaller sizes come on smaller cars.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a veteran of roadside trailer tire changes IL recommend replacing ALL your tires with Trailer tires. They are available in radial versions as well. Make sure they are rated to carry your load (your current ones are deficient in that regard). It is a royal pain to change tires on the road, especially far from home, plus, long stretches of highway driving will build some serious heat in those passenger car radial. These two factors combine to STRONGLY recommend new tires before the trip. If I were you, I would buy 8 and carry a second spare (with or without the rim). Finding a matching tire to replace your spare can be difficult on the road and if you lose one on the way down you will still want a spare for the rest of the trip. Good luck, whatever you decide. Remember, free advice is worth every penny.

Larry
Old 02-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

GOOD advise from both Birdog and Laster. Look at it this way: are you willing to take the chance? You need the PROPER tires to make a trip like this, and the cost of new tires will most certainly be way less than even one major roadside service, not to mention the safety factor. Your boat trailer deserves new tires.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:08 PM
mkforsberg

Wild one

I went through the same think a year ago. I ended up with goodyear marathon radial trailer tires. I wonder what other members feel about these tires?

Have a nice trip