Installing a Merc Remote Oil Filter Kit >

Installing a Merc Remote Oil Filter Kit

Notices

Installing a Merc Remote Oil Filter Kit

Old 04-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Merc Remote Oil Filter Kit

I bought a Merc remote oil filter kit for my 91 SBC. I was wondering if anybody had done the swap before and had any suggestions/tips. I also wanted to know if the adapter that the block currently uses with the stock filter in the stock location is the same as the one that should be used with the Merc remote kit. I bought the kit from a board member and want to make sure I don't miss anything in the install. The kit will be used on my Stainless marine manifolds.

BH
Old 04-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

Default remote oil filter

bad-habit,

It should tell you in the kit which filter to use, usually
the same filter you are using. You will have to add additional oil depending on how long the hose 's are
running from the block to the remote filter, both of these
hose's have to fill up with oil taking additional oil.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll be installing a pair tomorrow. My kits came with filters. I'll let you know it goes.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to use a cooler ? I'm starting to get away from them because the oil doesn't get hot enough and thicken up, and also boil off condensation. I'm building 2 SBC's now and am keeping the spin off block mounted filters on. How often do you really need to change the oil, that you would need to go through the hassle of mounting and plumbing it ?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Registered

Well getting to my oil filter is a ***** Im tired of the hassle of getting to it. It's almost impossible to even get a wrench on it. My marine mech even comments that it is quite the problem child! I have even gotten so pissed off and spilt so much oil in the bilge before that I have even taken the damn thing in to get it done cuz I figure Im going to start punching and throwing things This should save alot of aggravation on my part. Which seems to sneak it's way into whats supposed to be a pleasurable thing........BOATING

BH
Old 04-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I guess you should put the remote in. I know of at least 2 different factory style remote mounts. Both are Merc. When they went with the stainless elbows, they came up with a mount that was stepped up because the bolts were shorter. The other type is flat and bolts to the top of cast stock elbows. Depending on your setup or how much clearance you have, you could make it so there is more room to spin and remove or install a larger filter. I like the quart size filter, like Fram ph13.
As long as you can mount the filter housing, and make sure there is no stress on the lines you should have no problems. Tie wrap the hoses together and try to secure them. I've had em sag and kink when motor warmed up. This is not good for the hoses. Try to keep them away from excessive heat. I burnd a P/s hose last summer, you should have seen that smoke cloud! BBB
Old 04-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Registered

Saw a new 40ft Baja last year at my mechanics shop last year twin big-blocks and it lost a p/s hose. Talk about a mess Man it went everywhere......
Old 04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Registered

Default remote oil filter

If your worried about melting your remote hoses you can buy braided stainless steel hoses. I have dual
remote filters on each engine, I change all 4 filters
every 15 hours, oil every 25-30 hours, I have $60,000
in my 572's so whats a couple of bucks for oil & filters.
For approx. $30.00 per engine you can install remote drains, then you don't have to suck the oil out of your
dipstick an leave all the sludge in the bottom of the pan.
These are all cheap simple tricks to make your expensive
engines last a whole lot longer. most breakdowns are
human failure not mechanial failure. If you take care of your engines they will take care of you. Thats my 2 cents
worth.