Sniff...Sniff...Ka-Boom >

Sniff...Sniff...Ka-Boom

Notices

Sniff...Sniff...Ka-Boom

Old 04-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sniff...Sniff...Ka-Boom

I've always been a little paranoid when it comes to gas leaks,fumes in the bilge and came across this fume detector,I've noticed that they are an option on the high dollar boats and was wondering if anybody is using one,and could tell me the pros and cons,see attached,thanks

http://www.aetnaengineering.com/m1.html

Last edited by kingsize; 04-12-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

im the same way. it dont take much and BOOM . . .game over. i may have to look into those. seems pretty reasonably priced. thanks for the link.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-12-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:27 PM
homan

I have one in the Scarab, not a high end boat but it's still in there. Sometimes when driving you know how you might get a whiff of oil, mine sometimes goes off, it's a little annoying but it works.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got one in my Formula and get an occasional false alarm.
But better that than no alarm. Either that or that thing is REALLY sensitive because I couldn't see or smell anything
Also have auto halon system in the engine compartment , another nice safety feature
Old 04-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

You have to change the sensor almost annually. Mine used to go off all the time and of course, then you would shut off. Never smelled even a hint of fumes. Changed sensor and all better now. I chucked a cap full of gas down there to make sure it was working and it went off right away. Considering I broke a fuel tank once, I figure its cheap insurance.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Yep, sensor is a "disposable item". When it gets to where it alarms for no reason, replace it. If the sensor ever gets submerged, replace it (don't worry, it will start false alarming to let you know). If you get an alarm and stick your head in down by the sensor and smell nothing, then it is a false alarm. They aren't any more sensitive than a normal nose.

The replacement sensor is only about $20. Bad part is they come with a long wire pigtail. You need to go ahead the first time you replace it and install a terminal block to make it easy the next time.

Average lifespan is around 2 to 3 years for a sensor. The head unit lasts forever.

Everybody should have one.
And a good marine CO detector in the cabin.

A househld one is no good cause they are designed to be powered on continuously and being disconnected from the power dramatically reduces their useful life - marine ones are designed to be used intermittently - are not quite as sensitive but are more reliable over the long haul.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My parents had a "sniffer" on every boat they had.
Dad would test it a couple times a season by placing his Zippo lighter next to the sensor.
The only time I recall it ever going off was when a fuel line began to leak while underway.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got both a "sniffer" and Halon. My "sniffer" is factory stock and, for the price should be included on all boats for added "investment insurance". I know I save on insurance with the Halon. Does anyone save with a "sniffer"?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

I have the FireBoy Xintex unit. It seems to work well. The sensor has a long wire, much longer than I need. According to the manufacturer, the sensor is calibrated to the supplied wire length, and cutting it will screw that up, and it won't work. So if anyone is thinking about cutting the wire to make it neat...Don't. I don't know about other manufacturer's units.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Will order one tomorrow...Thanks for all the good info!

Quick Reply: Sniff...Sniff...Ka-Boom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.