Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Interesting OEM 522 Whippled EFI engine build. >

Interesting OEM 522 Whippled EFI engine build.

Notices

Interesting OEM 522 Whippled EFI engine build.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interesting OEM 522 Whippled EFI engine build.

I wanted to warm them up, leak check and retorque everything before shipping. I do not have the blower, valve covers, ignition or fuel systems that will be on them so I warmed them up N/A with some stuff I had lying around.

Pretty nasty sounding 7.7:1 family boat engine. The blower will smooth it out a bit.

Short Warm Up Video
Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Well the warm up video is on this page in the post above.

Trying to put closure to my part of this build thread. Maybe there still might be some discussion.

If you have ever wondered if an engine would just flip right over if you started it up on a portable roll around stand. The answer is NO.

The Marine Assault "Shipping Pods" The engine sits right in the insert. Strap it in and set the lid on. Reuse them until the trucking lines trash them up.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

7.7:1 CR Who picked that? It seems a bit low as most are using 8.5-9.0:1 What are the specs on the cam? You built a heck of a long block, Can't wait for the results.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Registered

Keep us posted, my Pantera may see an upgrade in a few yrs and i rather deal with someone local
Old 08-30-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cobra marty
7.7:1 CR Who picked that? It seems a bit low as most are using 8.5-9.0:1 What are the specs on the cam? You built a heck of a long block, Can't wait for the results.
Who picked that? LOL

I really do not care what everyone else is running. Don't want to get caught up in engine builder "Paradigms" This is a custom engine built for this boat. Less compression and more boost will make more power. Some use more static compression so the boat will cruise "on the motor" as they say and not in boost. Also depends on the size of the engine and size of the blower. A 522 is pushing the limit on a 3.3 Whipple's best effeciency range. For example (per Dustin Whipple) a 540 is a bit big for a single 3.3, it has trouble filling the cylinders completely while running in it's best effeciency range. So as a result you probably would be better off running more static compression.

Also the requirements from Trident Custom boats was only 670 - 700 HP as the stock warrantied power range and 900ish HP non warrantied. This will be very easy to do just bumping up the boost and EFI programming and still remain on pump gas. The engine is built, cammed etc for it already.

The cam is a custom grind for me by Comp. It is mid 640's lift 250ish and 260ish duration @.050 114 LSA.