Reinventing the wheel (Prop) >

Reinventing the wheel (Prop)

Notices

Reinventing the wheel (Prop)

Old 04-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reinventing the wheel (Prop)

OK. Someone with 454 mags (365 hp) in a 30' panther must have spent many thousands and at least as many months testing new props trying to eek out that last mph.

Right now mine apparently gets 68 (no, not GPS confirmed but at least read on speedo by my son when he was out with his buds and I wasn't around) with some 3-blade production things with 'Mirage' stamped on them. My neighbor at the condo is talking about maybe $1200 more for some 4-blades to get him 2mph more than the exotics he already has on.

I vaguely remember spending 300 on a single s.s. prop to get 1 1/2 mph more on a 20 foot'er, but I'm not quite as far gone as he is (yet). Please, what's out there for that boat and motor combo?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I run 3 blade 25 pitch Quicksilver's in a '86 Panther with TRS. In ideal conditions I will hit 78 mph @ around 5300. the only problem with these is it is a B**ch to get on plane in 3' waves. (almost impossible)

I have tried Hydro-motive 4 blade 25 pitch Intimidators. I gained a great hole shot, planing out was awesome. The handling of the boat was real tight, maybe to tight. It felt like I was pushing allot of water with the bow. (less bow lift more stern?) RPM's went to 5500 and lost around 7 mph. It was not a good experience for speed. I am spinning my props out. I like the docking qualities!

I know someone with an '88 with stock power Bravo's and Mirage 23 pitch and runs around 65mph.

I am now getting my props ready to ship out to Darin to work his magic so I can get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps
Jason
Old 04-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You done a bunch of research. After looking at the pros and cons, I believe I'll leave mine spinning out like you. Even though they pull strong, I'd like to see my motors no more than 52-5,400 revs tops. Btw, I got Bravos if that's a factor.

I got questions if you're game;

Are the specs stamped in somewhere I can have my son check while on the lift?

The 25pitch-3 sound intriguing, except for the not getting up part. Do you have long tabs like mine?

I don't hear much on diameter, just pitc. Is there not a big range on dia., - just one standard?

And finally, what rough estimate can I expect to get my own props worked over if they seem close?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

The specs are stamped on the side of the prop or in the hub.

I do have long K-planes but they were inoperable last year. (just got done rebuilding the pump motors today as a matter of fact, now they work)

I think it is a general diameter, I think 14 1/2", I could be wrong.

Try to get a hold of Darin AKA "Houston Prop" he will give you a quote. Your mirages are the platform of the prop he likes to convert. He did the prop on our race boat and made a world of difference.

check out this thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=76649