Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
not shifting into reverse >

not shifting into reverse

Notices

not shifting into reverse

Old 04-16-2004, 11:36 AM
bowtie89

Default not shifting into reverse

Ok you can all yell at me on this one...
I was in a rush becuase it was getting dark and I wanted to get my drive on my boat and I forgot to shift the boat into forward! I put the shoe on the drive in forword position and forced the drive on missing the slot. I bent the brass or metal piece on the drive back!! its still shifts if I turn it by hand but on the boat it will only shift into reverse if I throw it back hard, but then it quickly comes out and starts clicking! I am guessing its because it doesn't go into the part on the bell housing far enough can I bend it back without breaking it, is it hard, and how f'ed am I? oh yeah alpha 1 gen 1 This sucks because its supposed to be nice this weekend ugh!!!

Old 04-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your going to have to replace that part you bent. this is an alpha right? I did the same thing. they kept the part in stock...so it must happen quite often. dont try and bend it back, it may work, but its weakend and you dont want it to break while your out.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Registered

btw, they are super easy to change, you have to split the upper and lower and then its held on by a pin.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:02 AM
bowtie89

ok I am going to replace that peice what size allen key do I need to take the zinc off and what oil do I use after I put it back together! also where do I put the oil

Old 04-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zink tab needs a 3/8 allen wrench to pull it.
Under the zink you'll find another bolt that requires a 5/16 allen wrench. All other nuts are 5/8.

As for oil, I use the Merc High performance lube. Prices range from 6.99 a quart to 10.99.
Oil is filled from the bottom plug located on the lower case bullet. There's a special pump that'll connect the oil bottle to the case. Remove the upper vent hole and pump oil till it runs out the top.
BTW drive must be in down position first.